View Full Version : Experimenting with 3D Dophin on Inexer ... :-)

khalid
03-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Today I did Dolphin Model on my Indexer.. I created toolpath and did rough machining only... You can see something bad happened at the end of rough machining toolpath.. Basically the tail of the dolphin was very thin and i modeled the end anchors in a very bad way.. The Tail of dolphin snapped off due to bad supports...Also The tool was a little short and collet strikes with the stock, this collision is also detected by the software simulation...

Although My Dolphin was ruined but It was my first experience with the software.. Next time i will do complete A-axis machining and post here..

khalid
03-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Here is the roughing operation...

myxpykalix
03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
What program are you using that gave you a collision detection simulation? And now knowing that you will have that collision couldn't you take that area of collision and do a rough cut toolpath to eliminate it before you do your main rough cut toolpath on your model?

khalid
03-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Very Good question Jack

I am idiot ...Lot of mistakes in this single Model that i created in Visual Mill (Used this software for the first time for my indexer/A-axis)...

1- I simulated the Model after machining it on my router
(Me fooool)

2-I generated the toolpath for only climb milling (Tool cut only in one direction)... This increase the cut time twice.. I must select the MIXED direction (conventional+climb Milling) so that the tool remove the material in both direction of its To and fro motion...

I learned some lessons from this part and this is my experience. My next part will be perfect.. sometime I learn from others mistakes and most of the time i get experience from my own own mistakes ;) ..

bleeth
03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
The first one is a challenge.
The second one comes out right.
The third one comes out efficient.
The fourth one is boring!!

benchmench
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
The process and problems you overcome are much more valuable than the finished product. It is good to see your experimentation and trying new techniques. Thanks for posting!

khalid
03-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks Dave and Dan for your words

Dan.. 3D Programming (especially 4 & 5 axis) is a little tricky, and only can be learn't if you keep experimenting and learning by mistakes.....This is the reasons that there are very few tutorials available and mostly are only a write-up with no machining in real world...

I agreed and liked your following comments...
"The process and problems you overcome are much more valuable than the finished product."

denver
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Khalid,

I've had some experiences with collisions too, but I don't have any photos. Fortunately nothing too spectacular so far.

This might be off the subject a bit but I was wondering how you like VisualMill?

Thanks,

Denver

khalid
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
VisualMill is a very good software...Its easy and user friendly...
Have you seen my latest work where i compared the toolpath strategies of visualmill and artcam!!!! I wrongly posted the following thread in 'Virtual Show and Tell' section..

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/40694.html?1238978179