PDA

View Full Version : New computer cabinet for my control PC

michael_schwartz
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
This was a much needed project as my previous setup was not very good.

I built this from 2 sheets of 3/4" black melamine. I intend to add a hinged keyboard tray, and LCD mount, but will have to wait for now.

I mounted the control box for my vacuum motors to the side, along with the E Stop.

I Offset the front half of the top to allow for clearance for the X motor, since space is very limited where this cabinet is placed. This allowed me to make the cabinet 18" deep.

michael_schwartz
02-25-2012, 01:20 PM
A couple more pictures

myxpykalix
02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Thats neat! Looks like you have enough room to reconfigure it or add to it if you need to make room for something else. Good Job:D

michael_schwartz
02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
the height of the LCD is not ideal but it will work for now. I want to add a keyboard tray, and LCD mount that swivels out so I can use them while standing in front of the table. However that will take me a day or two worth of cad work to figure out. If and when I do this I will likely add some ballast weight to the bottom shelf.

The cabinet is much larger than my old stand, but it has a smaller foot print in some ways because it sits closer to the machine. I can also move it further away if I need to up to the length of the ShopBot USB cable.

I might add a plexiglass door over the front opening for the computer, along with filtered fans. However I think that the main thing you can do to keep dust out of a PC is to shield it from direct sources of dust, or chips. The way it is situated the air it pulls in is reasonably clean.

I may also add some bit storage.

Overall I have about 24" from the the cabinet, to the front of my lumber/plywood rack. With as much equipment as I have crammed into 1000 square feet, every inch matters. I will have to post a video some time and go over my shop layout.

I do have to reach under the cabinet to get to the switch on the control box, but it is only 18" deep, so I don't mind too much. I could re-locate my control box, but I like it where it is for various reasons.

As I am starting to cut much more sheet goods, this will also serve as a place to keep some of the stuff that always lives on the spoil board such as bits, collets, wrenches, calipers, etc..

gc3
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
well done!!!! i like the black...stealth like ;)