PDA

View Full Version : Edge lit Plexi

feinddj
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
These are photos of a edge lit panel I did last year. The panels are milled on both sides and I milled the frames as well. Brian Sharp Designs did the art and design.

steve_g
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Very impressive! Are there edge lights on all four edges?

Steve

feinddj
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes, this is lit from all four sides

knight_toolworks
03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
That's one thing I learned the more artwork the more sources of light you need since the light won't travel as far. it looks way cool.

curtiss
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
What type of bit and how deep did you have to cut to get the effect ??? What type of light source did you use ?

The one picture looks like an argument between the "flat earth" and the "round earth" societies.

Brady Watson
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Sweet! That would look great in my office! :D

-B

dlcw
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Amen to that Brady. I would love to have that hanging over my desk where I could look at it all the time. :D

Very impressive work!!

frank134
03-01-2012, 07:54 PM
That kool. It look like a screen shot from war games

beacon14
03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Very nice!

B. Pile
03-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice job!! what type of lighting on the edge did you use?

Buster

feinddj
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Curtis,

Cast acrylic.

30 degree v bit (amana plexi engraving) cut the circles on the back,
1/8 aluminium mill from a local machine shop, with a wide area clear 3/8ths same source. For whatever reason, they worked well. I had horrible, throw hammers across the shop problems with extruded, meaning in about the 4th hour of milling, the bit would wrap up and ruin the piece. Once I switched to cast, it went smoothly.

As far as the light source, I am pretty sure that it is a high output led, but I am not assembling this one, just milled the plex and the frame.
And this is the one in my office, Brady. Its two pieces of plex 3/8 thick face to face but lit with two separate strips of led to get two different colors.
David

scottbot
03-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Love that!!
Have you got any pictures with the frames painted up?
I hope you don't mind if a bunch of us start to copy that idea because I think there's going to be a few...

Really fantastic work.

rcboats1
03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Now that I like. I had never thought of doing two pieces together with different light sources, very clever indeed.

shoeshine
03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Holy ****, now that I NEED for my secret bunker/mad scientist's lair.

Thanks for the fabrication details, might have to try my hand at some of those. If you can get any details on the light source, please share.

Nice work.

feinddj
03-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Perhaps there will be more photos later. As I said, I milled it, the designer is assembling and finishing.

As to the lighting details, I have been using http://www.elementalled.com/ (http://www.elementalled.com/)
out of Emoryville CA, its close and they are very helpful. I use they High output leds for lithophanes.

D

Brady Watson
03-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I had horrible, throw hammers across the shop problems with extruded, meaning in about the 4th hour of milling, the bit would wrap up and ruin the piece. Once I switched to cast, it went smoothly.

STOP!.... (Hammer time)

:D

I hear ya on the extruded - just a pain to deal with! I had a customer bring me a piece of extruded that had to be drilled for 'LiteBrite' pegs for a building site layout. Only constant vigilance kept more than one hole from getting bird nested and brillo'ed. After every drill hole the bit had to be cleaned off. Cast is always the way to go for something like this.

Great job again & thanks for posting pics!

-B

curtiss
03-02-2012, 08:58 AM
So the going rate on the 4 x 8 ft ? cast acrylic world map with frame and lights would be ??

blackhawk
03-05-2012, 09:54 AM
David - Excellent! How deep did you cut the large areas with the endmills?

curtiss
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
What is a throw hammer and where do you buy them ???

feinddj
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Brad, for the exact depth I'd have to check the files, no more than 3/32. The material is .25.

Throw hammers are available in my online store. comes complete with an aerodynamically balanced hammer, a target sticker to put on something breakable, and instructions on how to fix the window. Optional accessories include a clapper to tie onto the end of your throw hammer for easy location after you fix the window and crime scene tape, they shouldn't have been walking there anyway.

David

genek
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Very nice work... Looks like it was for some sat company... Going by the world map and the rings or at least someone who is wanting to show coverage.... Next time you need to use your trow hammer,, tie a bungie cord to it... That way after you wake up you will be able to find the hammer, and if you have good insurance on your shop,, it will pay you for the lost time and that should cover your lost material lol....
Or do as i do i keep a rubber ball handy... And i have a target on the wall. If i hit center i get the rest of the day off. If not i go back to work..

genek
03-06-2012, 11:22 AM
On this shop i left out the windows this time.. Got tired of replacing glass. Between the tools throwing wood, burg's, kids playing ball, men getting hurt watching women walk by and someone throwing something when they got mad.( mostly me) i kept the local glass company busy... Cut down on cut fingers etc also...

twelchPTM
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Hello, new to the forums, was reading your post because I just started experimenting with edge lighting. just thought I would point out discussing frequently breaking windows and working with plexi and never putting the two together is quite funny