PDA

View Full Version : Step Tables-Side Tables

danhamm
03-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Couple of little tables fun and easy to make, thanks Dave...

myxpykalix
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Dan!
You have got to go back and take some pictures of those table tops!!!! Then give us some details on the design:D

danhamm
03-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Jack, they are quite clear..lol...one is a azteck calendar the other is one I created about 10 years ago..Hmmm, want the files..?

I forgot..the base is flipped to carve both sides, but only one file as they slip together..

myxpykalix
03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
To answer your question...
Does a Bear sh*t in the woods? Is the Pope a catholic? YES!
email to me please....THANKS BUDDY!
myxpykalix@hotmail.com:D

michael_schwartz
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
of the two I like the one with the Aztec calendar the best.

cwfreitas
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
What kind of wood did you use?

gc3
03-03-2012, 04:59 PM
send me the file pls!!!

pappybaynes
03-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Send me the files also please!!!

Brady Watson
03-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Nice work Danial.

Got any idea where you are going to put them yet ?

-B

danhamm
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Files sent, stained with minwax red mahogany and minwax tounge oil 50-50...
Thanks Brady....made quite a few sets and they seem to find homes no problem.

And "forgot" they are made with pine shelving.. cheep stuff ...Cliff.

bleeth
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Dan:
Please do NOT send me the files for your design. I really like it and think it looks great, but as per my earlier post I think that personal adaptation for something like this is better than dead copy. After all, would you rather have a Rolex or a copy?

Dave

danhamm
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
No worries Dave, I knew you didn't want them...just sent them to those in need..and your not needy..
besides the only copy..is in my head.lol...

cwfreitas
03-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Can you please send me the files? cwfreitas@sbcglobal.net

highway
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Dan

Great project! May i have the files also
johnblile@comcast.net thank you!

tporter1001
03-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Dave I would like a copy of those files also....always like to look at new stuff
thanks

T

bleeth
03-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Terry: Ask Dan!!

donchandler
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Dan,
please send me a copy of the table files.
Thanks,
Don
donchandler@clearwire.net

genek
03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
would you share with me... would love to have them and the aztec if you will share need it so it will cut with shop bot software or dxf file. i like dxf files i can change the thickness of wood that way.
but also like shop bot's. my e-mail is eking1953@yahoo.com.. it is easier for me to bring it in from my e-mail...

thanks

bobmoore
03-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I too love the work but do not want the file. I am getting fairly good at basic shopbot drafting and machining but this work blows me away. Could you possibly give a brief discussion on how to go about drawing a print like this. Is it all done freehand or are there standards to follow? Thanks for anything you can give me.
Bob

danhamm
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Very good question Bob, I create everything in Coreldraw..
If you have a Idea its quick and easy, or even to recreate, sometimes I'll
come a cross a picture of something that pleases me and I'll recreate it
and modify it to suit me or what I want to do with it. a long time ago
I made some little video's about coreldraw usage and I think they are still
on the shopbot website somewhere, they are more for manipulation rather than creation but once you start using coreldraw it becomes obvious that
its a creators package.

ironsides
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Dan,
I also would like a copy.
Thanks for your trouble.

George

gdk3661@gmail.com

danhamm
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I recieved a email, saying it doesn't work: a little bit of logic here..

The file consists of 1 side and 1 top, the process is: carve one side then flip it and carve that side...1 piece carved both sides..you only have to carve one side on the top..(grinning)..

to attach the top to the table..use your own imagination...I used 2 "H" pieces attached to the inside of the side piece then attached to the top.

hope this helps...about 30 fellers asked for this file...so far.. for those asking for the aztec top, apparently there is a better one on the vetric forum..

Rick W
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow Dan,

You really hit it big on this one, if you would have charged .50 cents for each time you sent the file out you would be drinking one of 12 premium cold beers!!!!
:rolleyes:
Nice tables, I like them.

Rik

danhamm
03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Hot wine, its still pretty chilly around here..thanks Rick...

bleeth
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
The first time I saw an Aztec calendar given away all layed out for v carving was on the Artcam Forum around 6 years ago. I haven't compared them but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same one going around and around. I carved one in mdf as a tryout with the idea of carving it in Corian for the back patio and it came out very nice (42" D) but the wife decided that she didn't want to deal with the texture and keeping it clean or the moisture buildup under a piece of glass.

ironsides
03-07-2012, 09:30 PM
The first time I saw an Aztec calendar given away all layed out for v carving was on the Artcam Forum around 6 years ago. .... idea of carving it in Corian for the back patio and it came out very nice (42" D) but the wife decided that she didn't want to deal with the texture and keeping it clean or the moisture buildup under a piece of glass.

Actually, I think that this year, there might be an increased interest in using the V-carved calendar as a wall hanging (especially if you encrypt the message "Expires on December 21 MMXII" around the circumference).

Possibly someone might pay big bucks for one if it was painted in bright colors, like you see when you Google for Myan or Aztec Calendar images.

I am working on making 3D shapes from the vectors (Using Aspire) to create a low Bass Relief carving. There are over 8000 vectors in the calendar.

George

myxpykalix
03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Well the Aztec design has a pretty limited design life since the world is going to end in 2012:eek:
I wouldn't work on a production run for 2013:D

billp
03-07-2012, 10:43 PM
You guys are confusing the Mayans and the Aztecs. Two different cultures, two different calendars...
http://www.maya12-21-2012.com/mayan-versus-aztec-calendars.html

danhamm
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, I have carved both the mayan and the aztec..I carved the 3d version a couple of weeks ago.
The pic isn't a very good quality... and I carved it small about 14 inches..

jzarski1
03-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Does anyone have the vectors for the Mayan calendar? I have the Aztec one but would love to cut the Mayan. Email it to me if you have it. Thank you

John

myxpykalix
03-21-2012, 03:52 AM
1 piece carved both sides..you only have to carve one side on the top..(grinning).. SO THAT'S why it didn't work for me:rolleyes:

danhamm
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Jack, you carve the side piece...then flip it and carve it again..and you need 2 of these to make the base..they slip together thats the slot in them..lol...
It works...

myxpykalix
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I was being sarcastic:rolleyes: My favorite was not the aztec but the other design. I got a load of poplar and want to glue up some boards and try this design:)

danhamm
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gifhttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mike Kelly
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Dan

Could you send me the plans?
I just upgraded to a Shopbot Buddy from a fireball V90, should be here in 2 weeks.

This would be good project to show the wife that the cost was worth it..

Thanks

Mike Kelly

danhamm
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Azzytable, looks kinda neat..had some spare time today...Jack...

myxpykalix
03-27-2012, 02:39 AM
showoff:rolleyes: lol
That does look neat. Without going back and looking i think you changed the outside shape? Weren't the others round? I like it. What is the finish? and material? Good job....:p....again!

Ajcoholic
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Could I get a copy of the table files please? And thank you!

Andrew

acoholic@ntl.sympatico.ca

danhamm
04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey Jack, another one.... just playing with idea's...should cut a crib board into it..

myxpykalix
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
its hard to tell the deminsions, is it the same size as the others? Is that one table with 2 levels or 2 tables, one on top the other? either way i like it!

You could use that top for the top on a lazy susan. Do people use those anymore these days? Another good job Dan...:D

danhamm
04-01-2012, 11:01 PM
its totally a new table with a base and kind book space in between... and just for you jack..enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_JdUjH3xU&feature=youtube_gdata

myxpykalix
04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm beginning to think you take my "suggestions" as "challenges" and come up with something cooler then the previous one each time.
I liked the spinning top video but what you should do is carve the face of a roulette wheel or like the "wheel of fortune" and have it spin...:D

I had bought a "lazy susan" ball bearing wheel and it sounds kind of like thats what you had under your table? How did you mount that?
ANOTHER good project! You should start selling those tables like at craft shows and such.

I don't remember if i asked previously but what are you cutting them out of..plywood, glued up boards? How do your two different levels mount together?

danhamm
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I would think a roulette wheel would have better bearings in it..was going to make a aztec roulette wheel...that would fall apart in december..lol
all the tables are made from laminated pine..or denim pine as they like to call it...bugkilled pine...
I dont go to - or sell at craft fairs...not my thing...I have a spot in Winsor Plywoods stores..and online..the small step table has doweling 1/2 inch pins in it. am still waiting for you to post your go at it..http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

pwbell
04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Would you please send me the files?
Thank you.

orgtech
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Could I please get a copy of your files. Thanks

danhamm
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
need a address to send to.???

danhamm
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Its done.... wont send anymore...

danhamm
04-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Desk/table..entry..whatever...a little bigger same design...they are going over very well...

myxpykalix
04-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Dan,
This looks taller then your last one, i think that was more coffee table height? I liked that one and this looks like just a taller version of the same. I like it very much too!
You need to start embellishing the tops of these tables although that might be overdoing it. Regardless you have a good thing going there buddy!:D

khalid
04-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Dan,
I liked that one and this looks like just a taller version of the same. I like it very much too!

Hi Jack, When we like something we praise and we also want to make the same. These days on talkshopbot forum we have collected good amount of chairs dxf file from the kind guy ANDREW...

Jack, would you like DAN share this design with us:D:D?

myxpykalix
04-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Now Khalid what I learned long ago is if you like something you complement it and if they feel inclined to share then that's up to them.....

Besides there's nothing sadder then a begger......
:eek:PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!:eek: lol just kidding

Dan is a pretty good old fart i think he is going into the furniture design business! I like his idea of "fit together" or what you might term "flat pack" furniture.:D

khalid
04-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Now Khalid what I learned long ago is if you like something you complement it and if they feel inclined to share then that's up to them.....

We shouldn't Assume better say ASS-U-ME... This is because just praising the design doesn't tell the author to share... We have a experiene in recent past with the great kids chair designs by ANDREW.. We requested him then he was generous and kind enough to share his designs...:)

Besides there's nothing sadder then a begger......
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! lol just kidding

Thats absolutely right we should not beg like Pakistani Beggars:D You must have to give them something else they will not leave you alone.However we must try to ask one time if he want to share with us:o

Dan is a pretty good old fart i think he is going into the furniture design business! I like his idea of "fit together" or what you might term "flat pack" furniture.

You are right a designer seldom share his designs..but you live in America and I live in Pakistan..I can't capture your market.Onething though might happen , i improve the design and share with this community as Mayo Pardo change the Andrew design but he can be requested to share the modified design with us:D

danhamm
04-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Onething though might happen , i improve the design and share with this community as Mayo Pardo change the Andrew design but he can be requested to share the modified design with us

I shared the original file with over 60 shopbotters, and its come back to bite me, a large manufacturing co. figures because it was on the web that its public property...and its not..

mikem
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I like the table. I would love the files but certainly understand the downside of large manufacturer getting them.

I would appreciate being steered to anything similar.
Very nice.

mikemotherway@gmail.com

danhamm
11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
New design, Holy, modern....

myxpykalix
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Holy?...I say..Holy Cow! another nice one Dan!:eek:

The top looks like it might be one of those glued together pine tops you can buy at lowes, not that, that is bad, i just wondered if you carved the top? And did that mess with the design?

Also what were your slats made from? It doesn't look like plywood.
Do you sell some of your stuff at craftshows and places? Or is your house getting crowded yet?:D
Excellent:cool:

danhamm
11-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Thats what it is Jack, Jack pine shelving..there is lodge pole pine shelving too, they are related..not that you particularly care its not the stuff from lowes, that comes from indonesia..mostly...
Craft shows..not my style..

crash5050
11-19-2012, 12:12 AM
One bad apple ruins it for all of us.

David

myxpykalix
11-19-2012, 03:28 AM
??? david:confused:

crash5050
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
hrmm, Not quite sure, that must have been a late night after the meds post.!!

crash5050
11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I shared the original file with over 60 shopbotters, and its come back to bite me, a large manufacturing co. figures because it was on the web that its public property...and its not..

AH, I remember now, this was the reference I was making. I wa sgoing to kinda hint that I would like those files, but it looked like Dan had been bitten and was not happy about sharing.

David

MogulTx
11-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Dan

I especially like the last picture of the hearts shapes that are repeated and which have perforations through the material. Very good looking. I think it gets people involved emotionally as well as from admiration of the craftsperson who created it. I really like your work and hope you will continue to post pictures so we can all be inspired to create our own little masterpieces!

Thanks,

Monty

danhamm
11-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Thank you Monty, that makes it worthwhile.. I dont mind sharing the files that I have made with some folks if they are just going to make it for themselves.

danhamm
12-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Another coffee table, made from cariboo pine size is 1.5 inch material, 55 inches long 18 inches high by 24 inches wide, coatings are minwax red mahogany and epoxied top.

myxpykalix
12-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Where do you keep all those tables you make Dan?:confused:
you must have an awful big house or plenty of friends and relatives to give stuff to..:D Another nice one

This looks like another one of your "fit together" designs. Do you have any other pictures of the sides and designs?

Mike Kelly
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Dan

That look really nice
Are the legs slotted to accept the cross member?

Mike

danhamm
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes, the 2 legs and the center are slot joined, and Jack I can't give you any more pics cause its gone....to the warehouse....http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

myxpykalix
12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Do you recall the ending scene from Indiana Jones where they are in this humongous warehouse....that's what i imagine all your projects wind up squirreled away in some place never to see the light of day! :D

danhamm
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Do you think, maybe thats why I'm always broke...http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

nathanzgmm
12-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi,

You have done a great job ..... Lovely sophisticated round table...

Regards,
Nathan

Jerry W.
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
My wife would love the tables. Would you be so kind as to send me the files also? Send to doglens@me.com
Thanks! Jerry:)

derekgirven
12-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi Dan ,
If possible can you send me a copy of the files as well !!
Thanks
derekgirven@hotmail.com
derek@dgssurfboards.com

pappybaynes
12-15-2012, 08:44 AM
I would also love to be included on the file...thank you! rgbayneswoodworking@comcast.net

danhamm
04-09-2014, 12:55 AM
After over a hundred files sent, surely a few must have cut the file...how about a picture or two.
Here is some little carved panels that are fun.

danhamm
04-09-2014, 12:57 AM
A couple more..

scottp55
04-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Nice Dan! Like the idea (the bear) of filling an outline with wingdings and components. Looks like a lot of patience, putzing and a shot of imagination.:)
Makes me want to do theme oriented one!

myxpykalix
04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey Dan,
It's about time you posted something. Haven't seen you here since your last table you made. Almost thought you retired:eek:

danhamm
04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey Jack, by the look of your post count you havent slowed down.
And for the folks looking for files "nope" don't think it helps anyone
if you want to make something do the work, its easier than you think.

gc3
04-09-2014, 10:07 PM
atta boy dan...