PDA

View Full Version : It's like being on drugs.....

myxpykalix
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
and going to visit your "dealer" why i'm talking about going to the Woodworking Shows of course!:rolleyes:

I usually don't leave without buying something...It was a Kreg Jig this time:eek:
I have spent alot more in the past and not so much recently but this was something i have wanted for a while. I stopped by Legacy Woodworking booth to see their CNC but was too tired to stay for the whole presentation but was kind of interested in their "Conversational Cam" setup.

michael_schwartz
03-04-2012, 02:10 AM
I usually don't leave without buying something...It was a Kreg Jig this time:eek:

I consider my Kreg jig to be a secret weapon. I use a 3/8" 2600 RPM corded drill, and the pocket holes practically drill themselves when the bit is sharp.
One of these days I am going to go for a pocket hole machine.

Today I fed my addiction buy buying a bunch of the Onsrud tooling from ebay.

CNYDWW
03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I've got my eye on the electric foreman. The cost has gone down a little bit lately. *Twitches*

Ajcoholic
03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Up where I live, there are no woodworking suppliers for hours... and hours.

Good thing for the internet. I spend a lot of time on the Lee Valley Tools site, which leads to ordering more tools. WHich leads to explaining to my wife why I needed that new hand plane, or... :)

Actually, I have to admit I am a tool junky. But, at least its my living, and I only buy things I actually know I will use.

AJC

michael_schwartz
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I finally broke down a few years ago and sold my Lie Nielsen #8 (aircraft carrier) and used the proceeds to buy a vacuum bag.
I do use their small shoulder plane and rebating block plane all the time, even for production work.

The plane I use the most is a simple krenov style plane I made a couple years ago. I use it quite often for trimming inlays, and edge jointing veneer. Because of the feel of a wood bodied plane, you know right away if you start to get chatter, or tear out. I could sell most of my cast iron bench planes, and not miss them too much.

The rule in my shop is that if its not capable of making money it has no place in my shop, but I have to make an exception for certain hand tools, I just have to have around for some reason.

myxpykalix
03-04-2012, 01:49 PM
At this point in my life (or what's left of it) I feel no need for justification for buying tools. The kids are grown and gone, and I never smoked, drank, or took drugs (nor do I now) so this is the most harmless vice I have.

In younger days I always used the "gallon of milk" test when wanting tools. When I saw something i wanted I would always say "how many gallons of milk could I buy for my children for what i want to spend on this tool?" and that was usually enough of a reason to put it aside...

NOT ANYMORE!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Ajcoholic
03-04-2012, 02:16 PM
My problem is my father taught me to buy "good quality" and buy "once". Therefore, I seldom look at cheaper things, I like to buy fine tools I know will last the rest of my life, and then some.

I use a lot of hand tools - machinery only takes you to a certain point when building furniture. Hand saws, planes, chisels and gouges, rasps and files, scrapers, etc. It all adds up!

I agree - I dont like having anything around that I dont use, and that should be making money (by making my life easier, therefore more efficient and faster). Time is money!

Its a good thing I dont live near a Lie-Nieslon, Lee Valley, etc... or I'd be in real trouble.

AJC