PDA

View Full Version : any other guitar builders here?

Ajcoholic
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I have been building guitars since the mid 1980's (mainly for myself, as a hobby) but I do sell the odd one or two.

I am currently working on cut files to do a Fender Strat style body. Then neck.. and then other things I have ideas for (semi hollow, carved tops, etc).

Of course having the shopbot will now allow me to do things I had to do before with jigs and fixtures, and cut by hand or with the pin router. And inlays... I really didnt like doing those by hand with a small router, dremel and files, etc.

I hope to cut something soon - will post pics. But I am sure someone else around here must be into guitar making?

AJC

Brian H.
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Ya know... I'm not, but I should be!

I'm sorta waiting to hook up with another guitar player locally to tackle making guitars, or at least trying. I fear that I don't have enough time by myself to tackle the learning curve. To have a partner learning at the same time might be just the ticket. And, of course, sharing tricks with other Shopbotters would be another great idea!

I'll be very interested in your progress. I play a Strat as my main electric. Always thought it would be a good guitar to start with... fairly simple.

There's another 'botter, Scott Green, who has done some great guitars.

dlcw
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Andrew,

I'm not currently building guitars but I've been reading up on how to do it because it is something I want to do. I would be doing mainly acoustic guitars, not electric.

Ajcoholic
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I have done some acoustics as well, but electrics (and semi hollow electrics) are what I mainly do. My inetrests lie with classic rock music, therefore I am generally interested in the classic guitars (Tele's, Strats, Les Paul's, 335, etc).

I have a lot of guitar building experience, which will certainly help in designing the cad, cutting paths and cut orders, and fixturing, etc.

I have a number of guitars but I sold my two strats off years ago, and am working on one currently (have the neck done, but wanted to try the body on the bot.)

When I get to it, I will post some pics of my progress.

A few years ago I made a semi hollow, carved top and back where the back and sides were cut from one large chunk of Mahogany. It was a REAL pain to hog out the interior, and carve the back, trying to get the cutout clean and the back a constant thickness. This is where CNC can be, in my opinion, a real time saver, and the product superior to hand done. If you are familiar with a PRS hollow body, you know what I am talking about.

Like building furniture, or cabinets - being familiar with the mechanics of how a guitar goes together (and what factors are vitally important, what factors are not so much so) will help when trying to build one.

We should share our ideas, etc - that would be cool! Im open to it, for sure. Especially since I dont do this for a business, it is just my hobby. That being said, there are sometimes when I havent time to devote to it until I get a little time between paying jobs.

AJC

PS here are some of the guitars I have made... Of course all hand done.. ;)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/IMG_0657.jpg

dlcw
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Sweet guitars!

sagreen83
03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Andrew,

I've been making guitars on the bot for about 7 years. I love making them. I think the best part is that first note you play after you get them built. The end of a long enjoyable process where the guitar comes to life.

I'm currently working on the 3rd DVD in my guitar building series that covers neck modeling. If you are interested check out my site at www.rmgvideos.com (http://www.rmgvideos.com)

Here is a thread to one of the guitars that I buiild some time back.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10780&highlight=sagreen83

Scott...

Ajcoholic
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice PRS styled guitar. I love quilted maple!

I prefer to attack Aspire myself, or trade advice with others right now, vs buying a dvd. But I wont rule it out ;) Its just that I enjoy the challenge of learning new things, and the CNC is very new to me, I would feel like I am cheating somewhat ifg I didnt at least try it myself first - if that makes sense.

I love carved top guitars - have done a lot of them the old way (by hand). Doing it with the CNC will certainly be easier, and far more accurate.

AJC