PDA

View Full Version : Machine Issue

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM
PRS Alpha 5 x 8

The last several times that I've run my surfacing routine (I do a rectangle that gets progressively smaller), I'm getting a very noticeable 'pop' at several places in the routine. It happens every five or six laps, just on the far side 'X' side of the rectangle. It's roughly in the same location of the the X axis, but varies by about 3". It may be happening in other spots, but these wer the most obvious on the last run. I'm not clear what's happening, it's almost like it skips a tooth, or adjusts, or something along those lines.

I can hear it, and can also see an irregularity in the cut pattern where there is about a .5mm or so divot in the spoilboard each time it happens.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks.

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I just ran the program again, and though it is happening predominately in the location I mentioned, its happening in other spots as well. I noticed that it happened at least once along the Y axis as well. It's like a small stutter step.

Brady Watson
03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Nat,
How fast are you cutting? Run the SpeedTest.exe and see what your numbers are. Plus, how well is your dust collection system grounded? - Bare copper wire thru all ducting & tied off to electrical ground?

-B

cowboy1296
03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
had the same issue before. mine turned out to be that my rollers were out of line. as the table would hit the out of line roller it would either raise the table up or down causing a ripple in the table.

hoped that helped

still working on my cup and did not comprehend your issue. since i am in the process of hooking up my dust collector its very informative.

garyc
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Nat...
I have seen this many times.

Step 1: Ground your dust hose. If grounded, GROUND IT AGAIN (bare wire thru center).

Step 2: Ground the dust hose again!

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Brady,

Running at 10ips. Trying it now at 8ips, and haven't noticed any hiccups. In the past I've also run at 10ips, without issue.

System is well grounded and does have bare copper wire thru all ducting & tied off to electrical ground?

Nat

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I didn't see Gary's post, and have spoken to him since. I have a flaw in my grounding logic which looks like it may be the root of the problem. I'm in the process of addressing that, then will rerun the routine and see if that worked.

Thanks

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Copper wire was broken off inside dust collector hose...

Brady Watson
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Copper wire was broken off inside dust collector hose...

Glad you found it!

-B

nat_wheatley
03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
The help that people offer is invaluable. Thanks again to all.