PDA

View Full Version : Using AutoCAD 2008 or 2012

Sceneshops
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I just got my Shop Bot and plan on using it in a high school. For my drafting class we use AutoCAD 2008 and 2012. I tried looking in the archives but did not find much about using AutoCAD with the Shop Bot. Is anybody currently use this program and can you point me to a resource that could help me out.

Coleman Becker
03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
you can use auto cad but you must export the vectors to partsworks to machine the product

curtiss
03-09-2012, 03:02 PM
You can use AutoCAD to create complicated linework and save that to a DXF file. You may have to save it as a version 2000 dxf or 2002 dxf.

Locate the linework near the 0,0 / origin at the lower left. If your linework is a "few thousand feet away" from the origin in AutoCAD, it will be more difficult to locate in Vectric.

If you are using Vectric or Partworks/Vectric it should be able to open the dxf. I would create any needed text in the Vectric program.

jerry_stanek
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I use autocad 2011 and Aspire and vcarve pro will open them

SterlingDevelop
03-09-2012, 11:10 PM
We use AutoCad '08 exclusively - we're going to Rhino for some things this next year, but if you have any questions about using it in conjunction with the Bot, feel free to send a pm and I'll send you my #

Brent

rhfurniture
03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I also use acad 08 exclusively. I draw all my work up in 3d, then toolpaths in oldstyle plines, and have written lsp programs that then write out sbp files directly. I find it very quick and efficient for most work, and gives me a good degree of control over the output. I also have vectric cut3d for 3d carving work.
I used to dxf out then import to partwizard (the similar predecessor to partworks), but as I draw all in 3d anyway, am reasonably fluent in acad, and have a pathological hatred of switching between programs, I took this route and am very happy with it.
You are welcome to play with my lsp files: http://www.craftfurniture.co.uk/technology.htm
You can download them from there, but they are the earliest versions as I have not updated the site for several years (I am now semi-retired). If you want my latest and best, please email me direct.
Ralph.