PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for help choosing the appropriate material

steve_g
03-17-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm looking for help choosing the appropriate material to make this transom grill from... This design inspired by a Art Nouveau stained glass, is 48" wide. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to make this from Plum Creek MDF, but I'm wondering if sign foam or another material may be less fragile.

Suggestions welcome

Steve

myxpykalix
03-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Is this going inside or outside? If outside what about PVC material? Are you going to have glass behind it?

Brady Watson
03-17-2012, 08:11 AM
You can use Extira (exterior MDF) - or Komatex/Sintra. If you use PVC, you'll still have to paint it to seal the open foam which will be sandy.

-B

knight_toolworks
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm looking for help choosing the appropriate material to make this transom grill from... This design inspired by a Art Nouveau stained glass, is 48" wide. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to make this from Plum Creek MDF, but I'm wondering if sign foam or another material may be less fragile.

Suggestions welcome

Steve
well it looks delicate. something like Baltic birch may hold up better. I think it may be better if you did not use a v bit though.

steve_g
03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Jack, Brady, Steve...Thanks for your input

I rendered several options but felt I was going to back myself into a corner that I couldn't get out of gracefully. Here's what I'm going to propose... It may not be anything like the customer had in mind, but I feel like I can make it successfully.

Same pattern but pyramid cut, no delicate elements. It's hanging on a wall above a opening that isn't arched like the other doors in the house. The ability to see through it may not be an issue.

Steve