KPAK
03-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi folks,
Need help with design ideas for this sign,
Sorry have no creative bone in me.

I have a shopbot but I am not in the sign business,
this is for our building.

The white space is 48" x 110", 2 sided,
looking for the classy look like in Joe Crumly's signs.
Prefer Gold and Green colors, but not married to anything,
even the logo and fonts can be changed.
We can of course also paint the posts any color.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kamal

Shopbot PRS 48x96, Aspire

tuck
03-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Do you want the whole thing designed for you? We charge by the hour, you know. :D

KPAK
03-19-2012, 01:36 PM
No problem paying for some creative talent,
hopefully there is a discount for fellow botter ;)

steve_g
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Kamal

Not much to go on... so I made an example for others to jump on me about.

Steve

dakers
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
we just bid on one exactly like this in our area, same size. Typically the aluminum face is glued to the frame structure if they use the bleed to edge extrusion systems available from signcomp, howard and Charleston industries.
there is a system that has a slide in retainer also. Occasionally the faces are pop riveted but i see alot of the faces attached with vhb or lords adhesive.

we just put new alum skin on the bleed face type unless we think we can repaint what is there unless in winter time. we would ask these questions on what they want based on budget:
1. vinyl graphics
2. individual cut lettters, logos possibly in combination with vinyl graphics
3. we would use company logo and try to make the sign graphically consistant with website and other marketing

so we would charge approx $1,200 for vinyl on alum faces, $350 to $450 to paint posts and extrusion a different color using standard sign paint colors
for individual dimensional logos and letters the price would start at approx. $3,000 and probably go up depending on materials used .

we have other face decoration options with wide format printing but since this is shopbot forum i would suggest at least a dimensional logo and probably a raised panel with other info. You could even make the logo and panel raised hdu or other material and cover up the old text on the sign so you would not have to repaint or replace face at all . we would probably charge $3,500 approx for that.

in our area companies do not want to spend much but want a nice look.
if they had the money and wanted to replace the entire sign with a new structure that would be fun. we do not have that kind of fun very often in industrial park signage like this.

dakers
03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
here is a design that changes the sign some. since you have to add material to the sign to make changes you can opt for a different look if zoning will allow the additional sq footage.

dakers
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
here is one we made about 15 years ago. they changed name and we are working up a bid for future face change. it has internal illumination with 1/2'' push through acrylic letters. the faces are glued to the alum angle retainer which is screwed to the body. if they want to spend alot the acrylic push through is a modern choice these days and can be retro fitted in a sign like you are working on and can use led lighting.

we no longer make signs like this. the demand has really dropped around here.

letterman7
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
How many companies occupy that space? Is KPAK a cover for all of them? The one photo shows a half dozen listings... more info is required before any real suggestions can be made!

dakers
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Rick, i agree, looking at it closer there is alot of info. there.
it appears kpak is the head company with divisions so the design would need to include all those but still make everything readable from where it has to read from or make the most important name readable at least if re-purposing that sign. The location looks like an industrial park where people go there for specific reason to find a certain company so identification would be more important than advertising so that would be for me the thought behind the design but you are correct, we do not know for sure. Thanks Rick

here is another design including all elements. Design is subjective evolutionary process and starts at point A and ends when the customer is satisfied, to reach satisfaction it is important for the customer to be involved but the customer still needs leading so he really gets what he wants the sign to do.

joe
03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Owning a router isn't much of a qualification to take on this kind of work. I have a deep and abiding respect for the craft. Not having a creative bone doesn't seem like the right path.

My good friend Dick has doled out thirty years of experience that is light years beyond the information a beginner could tackle.

Joe

KPAK
03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Joe you are very right, I might not be able to tackle this size project, I am just trying to learn from folks like you and try.
Like they say if you don't fail you have not learned anything.

It was a treat listening to you at the Austin camp, I truly admire your work.

dakers
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
what is cool is when someone has the gifts of teaching, sharing and the creativity and experience like Joe has. it is hard to find all that in one person who has time to actually share for no cost.

i have learned so much from him being on this forum and i have been doing this since 1967 and never heard of some of the materials and methods he uses.

so when Crumley is mentioned i get quiet so i can listen.

we teach what we learn or what we want to learn and i can see people here are kind and gracious to each other.

well done

joewino
03-22-2012, 03:42 PM
There is only one Joe Crumley....thankfully. :)

What is unique about Joe is that he never stops learning. He's always trying something new or experimenting with new materials or finishes. And when he discovers something he is more than willing to share his discoveries with others. Not many like him. When I grow up, I want to be just like him...only not so grumpy!

KPAK
03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I second that and
only hope some day to get in the same position to offer
"Lifetime Guarantee" like Joe does