PDA

View Full Version : exterior sheet material

frogwood
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a request from someone to make some large decorative porch brackets at approx 26 x 26. I make smaller sizes in wood but concerned that this size is large enough to potentially have some problems. I could use .75 pvc sheets. Anyone have issues with this material? expansion a problem?

I have never used Extira. Would this hold up outside with various cutouts exposing a lot of edge surface?

Anyone have any other material ideas? Duraply would probably do. Again
a lot of edge and painting.

Also anyone have a good source for the pvc sheets. Looks like in my area it is about $140 a 4 x 8 sheet.

Thanks ahead of time guys for your opinions.

Allen

steve_g
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Allen

I could use .75 pvc sheets. Anyone have issues with this material?

Are you referring to the foamed PVC products like Sintra? If so... unsupported it will creep and sag.

Steve

frogwood
03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Steve thanks, I am not familiar with brand names but I think that is the material. The outside is pretty hard but the interior is softer and you can
dent it with you fingernail. I looked up Sintra and perhaps Azek is another brand of similar if not the same material.

So it droops, sags? If I have a bracket that is basically 2' x 2' triangle with
cutouts in it will sag? Creep do you mean expansion with heat?

Allen

steve_g
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Allen

By creep I guess I mean the same as sag, but over time... It also will move a lot with temperature changes... If fastened at the vertex and a point, it will buckle in between. The colors aren't UV stable and must be painted. I have successfully used foamed PVC for letters only when they are 100% bonded to a substrate.

Steve

CNYDWW
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a fair amount of experience with the EPVC Foam. Kleer is my favorite brand. What you have to watch out for is warping and sagging specially with heat. For corner brackets i wouldn't go much larger then 12x12. I would use MDO heavily primed for something that large. If you can, get it thicker then 3/4" or laminate two pieces.

Regards
Randy

letterman7
04-05-2012, 08:03 AM
If they aren't structural, HDU sheet is ideal for this. Comes in thicknesses up to 4" if you can stomach the price..