PDA

View Full Version : Variable speed within a file

myxpykalix
10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
One thing that still screws my head up is when i am turning a square to a round. When i do this, It always cuts too deep on my first pass because i measure from the (flat) as opposed to the (point) of the square and therefor do too deep on that cut.
If you look at this video:
http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/demo-videos/
"Basic Turning Demonstration"
3:25 to 3:55
you will see that the bit comes down to cut as the indexer is turning at a slower speed and after the bit starts cutting with the flutes of the bit and the carriage moves the speed of the indexer turning speeds up.
It would seem to me that this would be a good way to do this or some kind of drill "pecking" stepdown strategy for the first part of a turning file.
Can this be done currently?

ed_lang
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
You can insert a MS command and change the speed anytime you wish.

mmason
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
When I am turning a square to round say a 3.5 x 3.5 x 20. If I am using a 1/2" bit I start the cut at -.25 so the bit comes down with out touching the wood. then set the turning length to 20.25. I then set step over to .08 you should be able to cut full depth on most squares then. I also delete the last pass because I don't need it.

myxpykalix
10-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Michael that makes sense except that i usually start (out of habit) from the headstock which doesn't give me the option of starting off the material.

This was one of the reasons i wanted independant axis control so that at the headstock i could create that gully by plunging manually so the bit could come down and start cutting from the side of the bit instead of the bottom of the bit.

Also on the legacy we would start to round material but coming in from the side of the material instead of the top.
We would also, with the aid of a hard profile template cut a profile in the blank using a template follower.

mmason
10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Jack I looked at the Lagecy and the software for it is great. You can do some of this but you have to do it in a round about way. I have one of the side bits from them and would like to do my reeding with it from the side. I do all my turnings with the shopbot but do have problems with messing the squares up. I just get the main turning as close to do as I can and then put it in the lathe and finish by hand.

Mike