PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Keeping Me and the 'Bot Busy

jdervin
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Finally getting the time to do some Forum-ing again, having been away for about five weeks. Real happy to be reading so much great information again. Here's what kept me so busy...

gene
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Awsome!!!!! what is it made out of ? and what all did you make .

jdervin
03-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Almost every curved part of this set was cut on the 'Bot. Special thanks to Tim Marchetti who cut the railing parts on his machine as they were too big for mine and I wanted to cut them in one pass (unlike the 14' arcs that formed the central portal, which were cut in four sequential steps; moving the piece 48" each step).

We also cut several irregular unseen parts that were used to hold things together. That's one of the great under-rated features of CNC: being able to go directly from drawings to manufacturing without any additional layout.

Of course, having the 'Bot to cut 22 matching balusters in 2x10 pine was nice too.

jdervin
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
The walls (flats) were made old-school: muslin stretched over pine framing (mostly 1x4). Stairs and platforming were 2x stock, 3/4 ply, sound deadening board, and Masonite. Balusters were 2x10 pine and the railing was a combination of 3/4" lauan, plywood, and 1/4" Masonite.

We also made the table. Look for details in a thread to be started soon at a Forum near you...

Brian Harnett
03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Looks like a really fun project, the lighting is great too.

myxpykalix
03-20-2012, 12:36 AM
John,
Great work! I's funny how the illusion of the mansion scene is created by your work only to look backstage and see it is only a facade. That is what makes it so believable. Lots of great work!:D

mtylerfl
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
John,

Thank you for sharing this. It's so interesting to see how props are made and how they are used so effectively. I'm really looking forward to your future posts!