PDA

View Full Version : Going to the dogs

joewino
03-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Here's one we did this week. 3' x 7' overall - 1.5" HDU with .5" cutout PVC letters. The sign has a Dibond back that contains the studs for installation. There is no hardware showing. Finish is Porter acrylic.

Cost: $2,000.

tuck
03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Very nice, Raymond. Can you elaborate on the installation mounting method?

gc3
03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
well done!!

joewino
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Mark - a piece of Dibond about a half inch smaller than the size of the sign is cut on the ShopBot with .25" holes drilled for the mounting studs. Bolts are run through the Dibond (about 3" long) and a pocket is cut in the back of the HDU with a Forstner bit to accommodate the head of the bolt.

Then all this is glued to the back of the sign with West System epoxy. The quarter inch bolts are trapped between the sign and the backing, but are loose enough to wiggle just a little.

A template for the studs is made from coroplast - same size as the backing.

During installation the template is taped or nailed to the surface of the wall (or whatever) and holes are drilled through the template. The template is removed and the sign is ready to install into the holes. We fill the holes and cover the studs with clear silicone (GE Silicone I), then just slide the studs into the holes.

If the sign is stubborn and doesn't want to snug up to the wall, we just tap it a little (or a lot) with a rubber mallet. A piece of 2" x 4" with carpet attached keeps us from harming the face of the sign.

If the sign has to be moved, it can be pried off the wall and the only damage is the holes that are left.

joe
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Mercy Chapman,

I'd pinch that pix and put in my portfolio except the resolution is so poor. I've tried and tried to get it smoothed up. No Luck.

Would St Peter frown on my attempts? Standing in front of the Pearly Gates, with St Peter and all the apostles looking on I don't any arguments

Joe

tuck
03-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Raymond,

Your mounting method is brilliant, sir, and duly noted! By the way, is that sign sand blasted?

sebago_signworks
03-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Did you also router the background or is that blasted? Very nice, I have followed your work, always impressive.

Devin

chiloquinruss
03-25-2012, 01:35 PM
In addition to the other comments I would also add very nice choice of fonts, very crisp and clean. Nicely done. Russ

joewino
03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the nice words, folks.

The background was routed using our ShopBot. I'm not a big fan of light backgrounds with the sandblasted look because of dirt that collects on the "grain", but this seemed to work OK.

The sandblast look was achieved by using a black and white photo of sandblasted redwood and then converting it into a .jpg that Aspire could use to develop the tool paths.

Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Crumley.

Ajcoholic
03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
That looks GREAT!

AJC

joe
03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
That's right Andrew, it looks very nice.

What I'm wanting to see is something he does that's ugly. Does it ever happen? I'd feel better if I could identify a little Hickey. You know, some kind of fundamental mistake I make all the time. What really hurts is when he points out my spelling errors.

Joe Crumley

powerlsc
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Classy work as always Mr. Chapman.
Can you tell me if the logo on the sign is registered to the business or is it a clip art piece?

joewino
03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Lynn...and all.

The logo was taken from their business card, so I don't know where it came from...but I would imagine that is was from some clip art that the printer had.