PDA

View Full Version : edge banding

john_hartman
03-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I searched woodweb for this and there was a little bit of discussion but not what I was looking for.. I am starting to get into more frameless cabinetry and until recently the exterior has been similar or the same as the pre-finished ply I use for the interior case work.

I just finished a vanity that was espresso stained doors and pre-finished maple ply with pre-finished maple edge banding. While not hidious you can see the lighter blonde wood through the 1/8" seems. If this was a kitchen it would not be acceptable at all.

I have no plans on masking, staining and clear coating after the edge banding has been attached and the cabinet has been assembled. Does anyone know of a service that custom matches and clear coats veneer edge banding?

garyc
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
John...
Not sure what they have in PF, but check with Charter Industries. They have the best supplies and quick ship.

http://charterindustries.com/

gene
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Also check edgeco out of N.Y. . They have every color you can imagine and several you cant

bleeth
03-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Wood tape will custom match veneer tape but they all have a minimum run of something like 10 rolls. You can get a veneer sheet on wood-back or phenolic back and prefinish the whole sheet and then strip it.

dlcw
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Try these guys. They told me minimum 1 roll for custom orders.

http://dc-dist.com/Default.aspx

john_hartman
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
I called both Edgeco and DC- dist. Edgeco say they can do it for $94/250ft. They need a 12" sample takes 2-3 weeks. Apparently its a new service for them. DC- had never heard of this request but said they would try to source a supplier.

I'm getting the feeling that most shops must tape/finish the edge banding after its installed. How are you guys doing this?

gene
03-26-2012, 12:14 PM
I do mine after the tape is installed. seldom does 1 job use 250 ft

wberminio
03-27-2012, 07:48 AM
I usually edgeband and finish to match.Use a small brush to topcoat the edge.

loriny
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
All my banding is finished. I simply stack the whole job, spray or spray and wipe the stain and finish. Then before too long (within a day or 2) I scrub the little bit that got between the sheets.
Lorin

bleeth
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I will prefinish the tape quite often. After it's on and trimmed use a refillable felt tip applicator with glaze (stain mixed with varnish) to touch up the edges.