PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Table and Vacuum

kenz
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I have a PRT Alpha and I am running a ground wire from each axis to the table and then to the control box. Where do I connect the ground wire inside the control box? I'm using #6 gauge wire. Can I just connect it to any bolt inside the control box?

Also, I have a Fein Turbo III that I'm using for dust collection. I'm running a ground wire inside the vacuum hose. Where do I connect the ground wire inside the Fein? There isn't any metal inside (or outside) the vacuum to connect it to.

I noticed that the Fein is equipped with a grounded socket for plugging in tools. Could I run the grounding wire to a male plug, and plug it into the socket? If so, would I have to put the Fein on Automatic or Manual?

Or, should I just connect the vacuum ground wire to the control box?

richards
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Ken,
I have the control box on my Alpha mounted to the steel frame of the machine. The grounding conductor that attaches to each axis is bolted to one of the controller's mounting bolts. I also run a ground wire between the case of my computer and that mounting bolt.

I use a 2hp Jet dust collector with the grounding wire that runs through the hose connected to that same common grounding bolt. The dust collector grounding wire is NOT connected to the frame of the dust collector.

By having ONE common grounding site, ground loop problems can be avoided.

kenz
04-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks Mike. That makes sense. Now I understand the whole grounding thing.