View Full Version : Electrical Layout

Gary Campbell
04-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know of any pictures posted that may show the control box and other wiring requirements. I need to get the electrician here to prewire befor the new Bot arrives. Thanks Gary

Brady Watson
04-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Download this PDF from ShopBot: http://www.shopbottools.com/files/AssemblyBinder060828.pdf

Check pages 33-35.

-B

Gary Campbell
04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the response, Brady. I looked at the PDF you linked to. I also have the 7-AssemblyBinder070228 for the PRSalpha and it also shows a fairly good illustration on p 43. I am guilty here of not asking the best or proper question. Please let me make a second attempt. The Assembly manual doesnt make it perfecly clear on how much cable is provided and what my location options are for the VFD and contol box, which will also dictate the location of my computer, dust collection hoses and vacuum system. I intend to install the PRS with the right end (X96) to a wall. Room space dictates this.... for now. To ease my anxiety waiting for my ship date to arrive I am trying to get the electrical in place for the Bot, VFD, Computer, Vac Control panel, lighting and the new dust collector. The manual is clear on what these requirements are, its just that I am not sure that all the cables are long enough and dont want to call the Elect. back for a 2nd trip once I have my assembly complete. Thanks again to all for all the info.
Gary

Brady Watson
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Gary,
The last Alpha I saw had at least 12' of line coming out of the control box. The PRS pics show the control box mounted in the center of the table (center leg), but if you are getting a 48 or 96" tool, you can mount the control box on the left leg (when viewing from the front). There may or may not be enough line (limited by stepper motor cable lengths) to mount the control box on a wall. The path of least resistance is to drill holes and mount it to the left leg/crossmember.

As far as the spindle goes, you should have enough line to mount it on the wall behind/next to the machine. Another option is to mount it on the right leg using large hose clamps or make a bracket for it. You don't really want it in a spot you will bump it, but you want to be able to get to it to change RPM when needed. I have mine mounted on the wall beside the machine.

OK...the vacuum setup...here's where it gets tricky. The vac system sold by SB has a large manifold that rests on the left cross member. If you play your cards right, take you time and plan well, you can fit both the vac manifold AND the control box on the left side. The manifold will go as far back as it can, and the control box will move as far forward as it can go. One thing to keep in mind when you setup your vac system...Dry fit 1st! AND make sure that if you plumb a line within the 1st 3' X 3' area (from front left of machine) that you make sure you can open the control box door. It's OK to move the vac zone inlet all the way down off center...the air will still flow and suction will be the same. You *could* optionally mount the manifold down the other end, but if you are going to have it in a corner, it'll be tricky getting to the valves. Alternatively, you could have the vac valves coming out of the front of the machine, but you'll be on your own with that setup...It isn't offered or suggested in the setup documentation.

Hope that helps! If you didn't get your question aswered, call ShopBot. They will be able to give you up to date info on your exact setup & answer any and all the questions you have.

-B

Gary Campbell
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Brady..
Thanks for that info.. it is just what I needed. I have also found a few more pics by searching the archives. I am running out of things to do while waiting for the new Bot to get here... Just trying to have everything I can in place before I pick it up.
Gary

Brady Watson
04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Gary,
If you find yourself twiddling thumbs, get going on the software end of things, particularly PartWizard. The rest of the machine & running it is a breeze. Learning the software is easy for many, but as with anything else, you won't be playing a symphony if you're just picking up the instrument for the 1st time...If you catch my drift...Even if you just wander around sketching aimlessly in the software, you'll be learning.

-B