View Full Version : Shopbot "Ready-To-Go Projects"

blackhawk
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
I found these ready-to-go projects on the Shopbot website.

http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/projects.htm

The zipped files contain the crv files. I get an error code 102 when I try to open these up in Aspire 2.5. The error message says that "file was written by version PartWorks 3.091". I assume that if I had Aspire 3.0 that these files would open, correct?

Thanks.

adrianm
03-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Some of them are the Vectric monthly project files that only work with the very latest version of Aspire/VCarve/Partworks.

In this case you would need VCarve 6.5 (or the Partworks equivalent) or Aspire 3.5 I would think.

sbd1
05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Is there a way to open these in ArtCAM?

bleeth
05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
No. They are for Vectric customers only.

steve_g
05-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Daren

There is a DFX file in the download package of the ones I tried. Will ArtCam import those?

Steve

nepenthes
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
I had no problem importing the DXF files into ArtCAM.

sbd1
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
You are right, AC does import DXF files. But it looks like the projects from Vectric's site do not have DXFs & I can't open any of those files. Thanks guys.

mtylerfl
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Hello All,

The free monthly projects are generously sponsored by both ShopBot and Vectric for the enjoyment of their customers. I try to alternate VCarvePro/PartWorks-compatible projects with the Aspire-compatible projects every other month.

The reason why generic DXF files are not provided for any of the free projects sponsored by ShopBot and Vectric is the projects are intended exclusively for ShopBot software and Vectric software owners.

It is worthy to note that you need to be using the most current versions of the software to assure you can run all of the free projects as we move forward with upgraded features and improvements to the software. Whatever the most current version of the software is, that's what I use when designing and creating the projects. (For clarity, I make a note on the PDF instructions what software version is required to run a particular project - i.e., earlier projects notate earlier software version requirements...later projects notate later software version requirements.)

I strive to make the projects fun and interesting, and sincerely hope you are enjoying them!

sbd1
05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Hello Michael,

As a non-CNC operator prior to purchasing my used Shopbot, I've been struggling - I imagine like everyone else did when they first started - to get my head wrapped around all of the different aspects of this very versatile tool & all of its associated information. When I recently stumbled on these project files I was really pleased that Shopbot (and Vectric) had once again provided such a great way for us newbies to better understand how experienced users think by allowing me to see the bits, toolpaths & procedures they used.

Because I am the owner of an older machine however, I am also the owner of an old version of Partworks, which I never installed. How would you suggest I look at & learn from these files if I can't read them? I was simply asking if it is possible (for a novice user like myself who may not understand how to do it) to see the thought processes in these files by using my CAM software package. Maybe someday I will own a newer version of Partworks or Vectric, but until I better understand what I can do with what I have, I won't be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on more software that I may or may not even need.

This forum - moreover, it's friendly & helpful members - are a great resource & an important reason why I chose to buy a Shopbot. So even though I cannot see the toolpaths created by you, they continued to try to offer me assistance in whatever way they can. Thank you.

steve_g
05-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Daren
Your older version of PartWorks is upgradeable to newer versions... please don't forget that Vectric is a company completely separate from ShopBot, profit is their motive (as is ShopBot's). If you up grade to a newer version they have succeeded in their purpose for sponsoring the projects... There are plenty of projects available in any format you need... the glitzy new ones from Vectric are pretty and well presented, but not the only thing out there. Let us/me know the type of beginner project you are interested in and I/we will point the way or post something of our own.

Hang in there and don't get frustrated! In a few years you'll be the one giving advice.

SG

bleeth
05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Daren:
The first thing you need to do is install the Partworks you have. Much about it is intuitive and in no time at all you will be doing basic designs in it and creating toolpaths. It also comes with some sample projects built in. There are online and built in tutorials to help you get started. I would suggest installing it on a computer that is located in a comfortable to use location and with internet access as in no time you will find yourself immersed in the fun things you can create. Ideas are all over the forum and although there are quite a few guys who everytime someone posts a new project they want the cut files the real fun comes in using the project ideas as jumping off spots for your own ideas.
You asked earlier about opening the Vectric files in Artcam. Do you have Artcam? what type and version? There are also sample projects there.
The type of thing you enjoy most with what you have will guide you, if necessary, into the path you should take for future upgrades.

Dave

mtylerfl
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Hello Michael,

As a non-CNC operator prior to purchasing my used Shopbot, I've been struggling - I imagine like everyone else did when they first started - to get my head wrapped around all of the different aspects of this very versatile tool & all of its associated information. When I recently stumbled on these project files I was really pleased that Shopbot (and Vectric) had once again provided such a great way for us newbies to better understand how experienced users think by allowing me to see the bits, toolpaths & procedures they used.

Because I am the owner of an older machine however, I am also the owner of an old version of Partworks, which I never installed. How would you suggest I look at & learn from these files if I can't read them? I was simply asking if it is possible (for a novice user like myself who may not understand how to do it) to see the thought processes in these files by using my CAM software package. Maybe someday I will own a newer version of Partworks or Vectric, but until I better understand what I can do with what I have, I won't be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on more software that I may or may not even need.

This forum - moreover, it's friendly & helpful members - are a great resource & an important reason why I chose to buy a Shopbot. So even though I cannot see the toolpaths created by you, they continued to try to offer me assistance in whatever way they can. Thank you.

Hi Daren,

You will love your ShopBot and I'm excited for you as you get started on your new venture! I know what you're going through - we all do, and that's why we're all so anxious to help - all learning together. (If I can ever be of any help to you personally, please let me know.)

As you're starting out, I would just work with what you have as others have mentioned. You can always decide later what other software you may or may not find useful for your particular needs/desires.

Software decisions are always challenging and often exceed the investment cost in machinery itself. I own ArtCAM too - that was probably my toughest ($$) software decision when I bought it years ago, so I know where you're comin' from!:)

myxpykalix
05-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Not all files are vectric files. Some have the dxf's and the toolpaths already to go so you don't have to do anything but run the .sbp files

mtylerfl
05-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Not all files are vectric files. Some have the dxf's and the toolpaths already to go so you don't have to do anything but run the .sbp files

Yes, lots of nice projects available!

myxpykalix
05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Michael,
I can't run your projects but i really like the creativity and imagination that goes into making some of them, and they are completely different from month to month. What inspires you to make a particular project?:confused:

mtylerfl
05-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Michael,
I can't run your projects but i really like the creativity and imagination that goes into making some of them, and they are completely different from month to month. What inspires you to make a particular project?:confused:

Thank you. Inspiration comes from everywhere...I'm always on the lookout for ideas and often scribble down notes and/or sketches on whatever scrap of paper is nearby. I've been known to start sketching in church during services...everyone thinks I'm madly taking notes on the sermon when I actually might be drawing schematics, animals or plants before the idea evaporates!

Also, many of the project ideas come from personal need...for example, we needed an umbrella stand, so it became a project! (that particular one ended up as a CarveWright project a few years ago.)

Honestly, the absolute hardest part of creating the projects is deciding WHICH one to do! I guess I'm not alone in that...I've spoken to a number of CNC users...many of which have "ta-do" project lists as long or longer than my own.

By the way, I sure do enjoy seeing your work too! I'll bet you've got one of those endless project lists, as well!

myxpykalix
05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I have a "Temporary Projects folder" on my desktop of things i want to do. At last count there were about 30 projects and ideas for things i want to do, and those were the priorities. Funny how over time they get bumped to the regular folders and probably won't ever get made.
Also besides collecting projects, i collect wood and have tons of wood i find with the intent to make something specific with it and it sits not being used...:mad:

sbd1
05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions & offers of help. Everyday I'm getting more confident with what can & can't be done, & more importantly right now, how it's done. I may just install my old version of PartWorks so that I can look at the toolpaths, because those seem to contain more educational information than the DXF or the SB part file. My goal was not to copy-cut these projects, but rather learn from them. Thanks Jack for your help.