PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo... more material :)

Ajcoholic
03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Since I got my Shopbot just over a month ago, I have made quite a bit of stuff. A lot of the things have been cut from 12mm Baltic Birch. A week ago I used up the last sheet I had in stock. It was a pretty big disappointment! :(

Yesterday my supplier showed up with a full lift of 12mm Baltic Birch... so, I'm good to go for a little bit again! :)

AJC

steve_g
04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Andrew

I just ordered a unit for delivery Monday... I'm curious If you don't mind, what the international price comparisons of the product are? I just paid $23.00 U.S. /sheet in the Dallas TX market...

Thanks

Steve

michael_schwartz
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Here is what I paid recently from a well known plywood distributor in the northeast. Pricing included delivery.

$37.25 each quantity of 5 sheets of 12mm B/BB. 5x5.
$50.92 each for a quantity of 10 sheets of B/BB 5x5.

Probably could have paid less for the quantities I purchased but they are still far better than what all the retailers and lumber yards charge in my neck of the woods.

steve_g
04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
$37.25 each quantity of 5 sheets of 12mm B/BB. 5x5.
$50.92 each for a quantity of 10 sheets of B/BB 5x5.

???? was the second item 24mm?
Those prices seem steep... are they considerably better in full units?

Steve

tuck
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I keep hearing about this Baltic Birch but I've never seen any. Evidently it's a special order. Home Depot doesn't carry it. What's so good about it???

steve_g
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Baltic or Russian birch plywood is a quality laminated wood product that doesn't deserve the name "plywood" attached to it. All plys are 100% birch with no voids in the interior. The exterior may contain football shaped "patches" depending on the grade. The number of plys per inch greatly exceed the U.S. numbers... I don't remember the exact number per inch right now. The down side is that it's a metric product... not only in thickness but in Length and width, generally only available in 5'X5' panels. It is available in 4' X 8' for a premium up charge. it's generally not available in full sheets at other than serious lumber dealers. Rockler sells it cut up in small parts, I see that they sell 12" X 60" panels for $13.00 -$14.00 range

Steve

Ajcoholic
04-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I purchase my Baltic Birch in 4' by 8' sheets, as it seems to work better for the things I use it for. I use a lot of 1/4" (6mm) for drawer bottoms, door panels (especially when I do a solid colour finish) and cabinet backs.

I am paying just over $40 Canadian per sheet, for 12mm 4'x8' - lift quantity is 33 sheets. I think if I got it per sheet its a few dollars a sheet more.

6mm is considerably less, but I dont recall exactly what the cost is (can look at work tomorrow).

if you buy it in a 5'by5' dimension, it is quite a bit cheaper.

Also, there is one BIG difference between the 5' square and 4'by8' - the 5'by5' uses an interior rated glue, and will fall apart if it repeatedly gets wet (I did some tests years back to verify).

The 4'by8' material uses an exterior grade adhesive and will not delaminate when wet.

The grade I buy is called 4B - or BB/BB and has both faces that are fairly clear and white, but are allowed to use the football shaped patches. However one side is generally better or more clear (less patches).

AJC

PS cut up 2 sheets today, so I got my Shopbot fix...

genek
04-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Most cabinet supply companies carry baltic birch. I get baltic birch in 5 x 5 and 4 x 8 sheets. Size from 1/8 to 3/4 price varies by the amount you order. Normally get a skid load of each.

michael_schwartz
04-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I have been buying b/bb which has one clear face, and one face that may or may not have patches.

I find that that for what I pay the price is actually less per square foot than columbia purebond vc, with an a1 natural maple veneer.

gerryv
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Andrew,
I'm down in Eastern ON. what brand are you using and who is your supplier? it may be available here as well.
Thanks much,
Gerry

Ajcoholic
04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Andrew,
I'm down in Eastern ON. what brand are you using and who is your supplier? it may be available here as well.
Thanks much,
Gerry

Dont know the "brand", it is never marked with anything but the grade.

I buy from two suppliers - NEOS Wood Products (located in Sudbury, used to be a private outfit, but was purchased by Richelieu Hardware Canada about 8 yrs ago) and Commonwealth PLywood Ltd. I have a long standing account with both places (well over 20 yrs) and get good service. Also, their trucks service Northern Ontario once a week so I never have to pay to get materials.

AJC

JimDav
04-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I keep hearing about this Baltic Birch but I've never seen any. Evidently it's a special order. Home Depot doesn't carry it. What's so good about it???
Mark - PeachState Lumber in Kennesaw carries it. I use lots of it 12mm and 18 mm. As someone already said - no voids. 18mm has 13 plies. I use it almost exclusively - 5x5's. Wish I could get some 4x8 for one repeat job I do. Have built the computer work tables I am on now using it and they look AWESOME. Call James at Peachstate 770/428-3622. They deliver all over even up in TN and the Carolinas as well as North Georgia.

tuck
04-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jim.

michael_schwartz
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Generally speaking there is no particular brand. What we call baltic, or russian birch, can come from any number of sources. The way it was explained to me is the distributers have purchasing agents who import the material.

There are Chinese knock offs as well that at first glance may look alike to the untrained eye having a similar number of laminations. The one in particular I have seen was sold at a home center. Of course just looking at the stuff made it delaminate, and it was poplar, not birch. However I have heard of people who have never worked with baltic birch, seeing this, mistaking stuff like this it for the real deal because of the number of laminations.

Ajcoholic
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Generally speaking there is no particular brand. What we call baltic, or russian birch, can come from any number of sources. The way it was explained to me is the distributers have purchasing agents who import the material.

There are Chinese knock offs as well that at first glance may look alike to the untrained eye having a similar number of laminations. The one in particular I have seen was sold at a home center. Of course just looking at the stuff made it delaminate, and it was poplar, not birch. However I have heard of people who have never worked with baltic birch, seeing this, mistaking stuff like this it for the real deal because of the number of laminations.

I have also seen that Chinese stuff - it warps badly as well, while real BB tends to stay very flat.

AJC

gerryv
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
That's valuable info to know Michael, thanks!

beacon14
04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
In Atlanta, Hardwoods Inc (formerly Atlanta Wood Products Co) carries Baltic Birch in 4x8s in 1/2" and 3/4" thickness - the 1/2" isn't too bad at just over $50 a sheet, but the 3/4" is well over $100 a sheet. They carry 5x5 in at least 5 thicknesses, at a much lower cost per square foot. We usually buy the 5x5 and rip it to put it on the SB, but will go for the 4x8 when the yield is such that the cost is justified.

kern
04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
To determine whether the Baltic Birch is interior or exterior look at the glue line. If you have young eyes OK, otherwise use a magnifier,

the glue line on the exterior grade is black and it contain silica [sand like].

You can't laser it [the silica reflects or deflects the laser beam] and it is no fun to use a scroll saw on it, because it dulls the blade very quickly. Same is true for the table saw blade. DAMHIK. Been there and done that. Many lumber yards don't know which one they have. Youngblood Lumber in Minneapolis, sells only the interior grade and they know what I want when I ask for Triple B Baltic Birch.