PDA

View Full Version : Aztec Calendar (if it ever finishes)

ironsides
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
This link shows the beginning of 4 finishing cutting files for my 30 inch dia Aztec Calendar.

The finish cutting file was too big, so I broke the job up into Quadrants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX1PiVUrXw

The SB preliminary cutting review indicates about 12.0 hr for each file.
I rough machined to w/in .125 and am now finishing with a BDP005 Lettering/Carving bit (discontinued by Beckwith D P). (need more hint, hint.)

The material for the job is edge glued 36 X 36 8/4 Hard Maple surfaced on both sides to 1.5 thick.

Spindle RPM 18,000
Feed Rate 1.8 ips
Stepover = .010

If the job ever finishes, I will post more pictures.
This is not V-Carving. I modeled each of the Calendar elements to make about 30 separate components using Aspire 3.5. Maximum ht = .72 inch of some of the details.

George Kelly

srwtlc
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Better get yourself a Snickers bar, that's gonna take a while. ;)

You could save some wear and tear on your spindle and cutter (heat) by turning it down a bit. I've done many finish passes with 0.0625" and 0.125" ballnose bits at 10,000 - 12,000.

ironsides
04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Scott,

I tried a larger ball, but then I lose a lot of detail on some of the smaller components.

Slowing down the RPM increases the chip load/flute. I've used 18K RPM on almost all my jobs with no problem.

George

kevin
04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I did it v crave took 3hrs

I was temped to do it 3d it looks amazing Where did you get the file?

ironsides
04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I did it v crave took 3hrs

I was temped to do it 3d it looks amazing Where did you get the file?

Using your V-Carve vectors, read them into Aspire, then group into individual components and make shapes using the modeling, sculpting and smoothing tools in Aspire.

George

garyb
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
OK George I got the hint ;)
will keep you posted
gary

ironsides
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Here are three views of the finished carving.

Total machine time was 50.58 hours.
This time includes facing both sides of a very warped edge glued plank,
Rough 3D routing,
finish 3D routing,
circle cutting the disk from the square stock and
V-Carving some identification about the Artist (me)
and a date of carving and of course,
the Aztec Calendar Expiration Date (21-Dec-2012).

George

scottbot
04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice!
That looks great George.
Kinda wreaked if for those of us who haven't done one yet though.
How can we be happy with a v-carved one now? Haha.

Scott

myxpykalix
04-10-2012, 01:26 AM
When i read 50 hours i thought, boy he had his settings wrong or something, thinking it was a vcarving. That is real nice. Now what do you do with it?

ironsides
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
When i read 50 hours i thought, boy he had his settings wrong or something, thinking it was a vcarving. That is real nice. Now what do you do with it?

After I have it stained and a finish applied (by a professional and not me), I hope to sell it.

I've had the SB almost three years and 3D carved a lot of hobby and give away stuff. This time, I would like to make a few bucks on it.

Wish me luck.

George

Brady Watson
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
First off - George, beautiful job! Good for you for not cheezing out and just cutting it with an 1/8" ball. Plus, an extra salute for creating a 3D file yourself from the vectors. It takes planning, persistence and a whole lot of patience not to pull the plug on something like this...

Now...

This time, I would like to make a few bucks on it.

If you actually want to turn a profit, my advice would be to make a silicone rubber mold of it and mess around with cold cast bronze or other room temp curing urethane plastics. The ShopBot is a perfect mold master making machine. The idea with the ShopBot and moldmaking, is to multiply yourself & ultimately your efforts.

50+ hrs @ $10/hr = $500 (Let's say you could sell it for that) That's not making a profit...and it is a poor labor exchange rate at best. Something to consider...

-B