View Full Version : What is it?

steve_g
04-03-2012, 09:29 PM
I was given this inauspicious piece of wood yesterday... A bit of sanding and a few coats of lacquer make me think it's likely a Cherry Burl. It's absolutely beautiful, the photo doesn't do it justice! My first thought is to resaw it into about 5 veneers and make several inlay projects out of it (it's a full 13/16" thick). However my second thought is that it's to beautiful to cut up. My questions... does anyone else concur as to what it is? Any Ideas on what it's worth? And how would YOU use it...

Steve

genek
04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
That looks like a slice out of a cherry burl.. Cost retail around 280.00 would not slice it... Make a end table or something else out of it.. Check woodcraft store in lexington ky they carry a lot of burl.. I have seen cherry burl there as high as 1500.00 for a 1/4 of a burl.

Ajcoholic
04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Aw what do you want that for?? Send it up to me, ill dispose of it properly :)

AJC

genek
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Andrew. I agree with you if he can not make up his mind about what to do with it.. He can send it to me... I will make a beautiful clock out of it and sale it for around 400.00.

bleeth
04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm with Eugene.
That piece screams CLOCK.
Other than that inlay your logo into it.

genek
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Just got back from one of my customers in berea ky...... She has a piece of maple burl no where near as big as the cherry burl... And all it has is a hole drilled in it, a test tupe put in the hole for flowers, a piece of maple for base and it has a price tag of 299.00 on it... Cherry burl's are more expensive.. Make a clock or something beautiful for your wife or girl friend for mothers day. Explain to her that burls are hard to come by... And expensive... GOOD HONEY BONUS......

beacon14
04-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Really cool that the grain pattern resembles a gnarled old tree.

myxpykalix
04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
After seeing this thread i went back to a seperate storage room i have in the basement looking for some pieces i've had for many years stored away in a satchel.
One looks like a birds eye maple burl slice, a couple other burl slices, the piece that looks like a slab of bacon is ironwood and is like petrified wood, the dark piece with "leopard spots", i don't know and the two branches i'm unsure of.
Is any of this worth anything? I'm not selling, just curious.

kevin
04-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Jewellery box

steve_g
04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm taking it to a show today just to get a feel for what a paying customer might like

Steve

myxpykalix
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I have seen pieces like that on the shelf at WoodCraft stores usually in a block for woodturners to make a bowl out of and it is very expensive. I don't think an average person would appreciate the or know the value. Maybe if you had a small card by it that described what it was and it's rarity might be good:confused:

genek
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Jack all of that is worth something.. The burls are worth the most.. I know you have some maple burl not sure of all of it... The burls make beautiful clocks and flower vases

will post pictures of some art work latter.

ssflyer
04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Steve,

That is a beautiful piece! I love working with burls - here's one of the last pieces I've done. This is a myrtle burl from Oregon - at least that's what I was told, as I have no other experience with myrtle! I thought the dish shape the warrior is carved into looked a bit like a wolf's head ;)

steve_g
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Saturday I had the opportunity to market my craft items at the old Ft Worth Stockyards. The stockyards have been turned into an entertainment district that still retains the old west and cowboy themes. To be a vender, you have to dress in full cowboy regalia... hat, boots, jeans, belt & buckle, western shirt, ... but no six shooters. I went at the invitation of Thomas Skrodzki, "Big Tex" here on the forum. Thomas had secured the rights to set up a canopy in front of the coliseum, a major focus of a lot of the activities there. Thomas makes signs and thought that my Texas wood (Mesquite, Osage Orange, Etc.) boxes and crafts would round out the offerings and help draw more interest. I also set up the Cherry Burl in a conspicuous place to see if it drew any comments...

We certainly had lots of lookers... THOUSANDS of them! Starting around 10:00 A.M. bus, car, and motorcycle loads of tourists converged on the place. The A.M. and early afternoon crowds were heavy with foreign tourists looking for something cheap with "TEXAS" on it, and that would easily fit in a suitcase... the "3 tee shirts for $15.00" people couldn't wrap them up fast enough! After the last "Cattle Drive" about 4:00 P.M. the groups with small children went home and were replaced with older locals who came to see a show and drink. Thomas sold a few signs to this crowd... the ruder and cruder, the better they sold. This crowd looked at my mesquite boxes but couldn't make themselves pay $30.00 - $50.00 for "barbeque smoke" wood. One fellow in particular liked one of my canes... His comment was "I paid $29.00 at CVS for this cane that I hate... yet I can't make my self spend $50.00 for one I love!" My take at the end of a 15 hour day... $11.00.

The one fellow who recognized the burl for what it was said "Priceless!"

I'm going to try again, this time with inexpensive Texas silhouettes from native woods, Key chains, fridge magnets, and canes with less machine time in them...

Steve

bleeth
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
There are so many "craft show" venues that there isn't one presentation that will work at all. Many of them are closer to the "county fair" type of place and despite the absurd cost for rides and snacks none of the booths that sell merchandise carry anything but novelties. I would expect that the "juried" arts and crafts shows and/or those with a more limited number of displays would do better for your boxes and other things that are higher quality.
That being said I know a "wood crafts" store in Seattle that has been around for many years. When they first opened they carried only very nice stuff put there on consignment for show and sold the craftsmen's custom work on a per order basis. In short order they were filling shelves with cheap small items in order to pay the rent. Last time I was there they said over 70 percent of sales was the little cheap stuff produced in bulk and only 30 percent was the actually fine craft work.

kurt_rose
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
That looks to me like Amboyna burl. It's not Cherry. With out a doubt my favorite. Doesn't get more beautiful then that. I turn a lot of pens and a 2x2x6" blank runs me about $6.00.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BIG-Beautiful-Amboyna-Burl-block-7-1-8-x-2-make-nice-bowl-resaw-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqN,!n0E9cvcZrbVBPeobykNMw~~60_57.JPG

steve_g
04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Kurt

Thanks for your suggestion... I have an advantage you didn't have... when I sanded it I smelled the distinctive cherry smell! That was my first clue, the second was the bottom 1/2" - 3/4" before the burl really gets going, almost has a classic Cherry grain pattern. Now, if you tell me that the Amboyna burl smells like cherry... Also my burl doesn't have the Chatoyance that other Googled images of Amboyna have...

Still leaning toward Cherry
Steve

steve_g
04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Just to prove that I'm a glutton for punishment... I spent the last two weeks developing and manufacturing a new product mix for fairs and craft shows... The offerings were heavy on the less expensive. Keychain fobs $2.00 targeting the "western market" Fridge magnets $3.00 and "witty" plaques for under $15.00. I also offered some of my other goods at give-away prices just to see if money was the issue for poor sales. I also worked on "Marketing" by making large letters that spelled "Souvenirs" and were attached to stakes and driven into the ground in a very visible manner, I also developed some "trays" that attached to the pipe railing In front of our canopy, This put our product right in the path of thousands of people! I will have to say that the marketing effort resulted in more lookers but not in more sales... The results of an informal poll of "chatty" people as to what products they might like to see was... "I didn't come to buy anything, just walk around on a nice spring day."
The highlight of the day was when a young couple from France asked me if they could have their picture taken with a real cowboy. I was puzzled at first until I realized they meant with me! They didn't understand what I meant when I said I wasn't even a "goat roper" but were pleased to have their photo taken with an old man with a white beard in western gear!

Steve

michael_schwartz
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
To me, the items you have in those pictures look they are worth a lot more than the prices you have mentioned and I am sure they are much nicer than what other people sell in that price range. It looks like the work you have pictured, took a good bit of creative, and artistic effort.

I think you might have more success marketing to collectors. I think you might be able to raise your prices a bit, if you were able to establish a market selling some of these items as collectibles, rather than novelties. I think you would be more likely to encounter serious buyers. I am pretty sure there is a big market for western related collectables.

steve_g
04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Michael, Thanks for the vote of confidence... My purpose in offering my crafts at or below cost last weekend was to determine if anything could be sold at that high traffic location. The spot costs me $120.00 per day but so far has not netted me anything. I'm leaning toward discontinuing my efforts there.

My ShopBot served me well in a manufacturing environment for years, now I'm trying to shift my efforts toward supplementing a retirement income. I really enjoy making fancy boxes, wall decorations, and other artsy-craftsy items and was hoping I could make some money doing what I enjoy. I still think I can if I find the right outlet for sales... Has anyone here tried etsy.com?

Steve

Rob Gunn
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Craft shows and County fairs are total hit and miss and you never know when you will hit a good day or a bad day. My late brother-in-law made wood boxes to sell at whatever market came along. Sizes from hope chest to pocket size tooth pick holders. All wood boxes were hand crafted and no one the same as the last. We can tell you that from location to location and from fle-market to craft show you could never pin down what would sell or not sell. Even the same location at the same event but a different day could be a great day or a no sale day. Size, shape, finish and price of the box didn't matter, basically you just have to be in the right place at the right time with the right stuff for the right customer. You just never know and all you can do is go and try it.

genek
05-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Being a juried artist i have learned from doing shows. That you have to have a good price range... I have also learned that if your price on certain items is too low people will not buy it.. Doing shows where there is product made over seas will kill your sales... Parents buy for the children first and it will be the cheap china product... I only do shows where it is a juried show no comerical made product... Most of my shows i average clearing after the cost around 600.00 per day. I am very selective of my shows i do not do shows no matter how big they are if the allow vendors to sale foreign made product.. And if more of the true crafter's would do this we all would see show improvements ... I do not do 1 day shows... Except for the governor derby breakfast... It more for the show you have to be invited to do that show.. And it is free...
Boot set up and design plays a lot in how much you make.... I have items that draw people in... They are not for sale but people like to look at them... The more people that are in the booth the more you sale...
Reputation goes a long way...
I have people that call and get my show schedules so they can come and see what new items i have added.. I add new items each year..
I keep items for children like small toys, to 500.00 items...
If it is out doors i drop the 500.00 items.
I have a friend that makes out door furniture.. The last show we did together he sold one items for 10,000.00 this again is juried shows,,
match the theme of the show helps.
Maybe i should do a class just for crafter's and have the patterns that they can make on the cnc on cd for the class to take home. Lol

upsman
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I have tried ESTY spent a lot of time setting it up but got no sells after 4 months. I did the eBay to but after 6 months with only 3 sells I removed all item. I do a crafts one to two times a month the biggest sell it toy’s (Made in America). Make a sign that says made in America. Get labels that say made in America or a branding iron Made in America. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=made+in+america+labels&_nkwusc=made+in+america+lables&_rdc=1 (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=made+in+america+labels&_nkwusc=made+in+america+lables&_rdc=1) Link to labels sold on eBay. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000979/9907/branding-iron-handcrafted-by--electric-model.aspx (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000979/9907/branding-iron-handcrafted-by--electric-model.aspx) Link to branding iron.

Here is a link to a site that sells Scroll saw toy plans.http://toymakerpress.com/index.html (http://toymakerpress.com/index.html) most of the toy I make is for scrap wood for around the shop. Here is another site with some free scroll saw plans. http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/ (http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/)

On another note last year I was a show where the kids come running up to look at the toy’s. Dad was a Dr. opening a new office and needed a sign for his new shop to make a long story short he order 3 4’ x 8’ HDU signs 2 number signs, and one name sign total sale $6200.00

You need to make something that is going to get people over to your booth. Make something large. I did a coffin out of plywood for a Halloween show not planning to sell it but it did sell for $250.00 had them pick it up at the end of the show. I did a larger bass out of foam was using it out at a fishing tournament show. Again not planning to sell it but a person selling fishing poles as it he could buy it. I sold it to him for $300.00. it was only painted white.

I sell some ready made cedar signs for $10 not painted and sell a lot of cutouts again not paited. If you have another person that can whatch your booth go out and talk to other crafters tell them you can do cutouts for them. I got one lady that i do horses for she orders 20 at a time about every other month.

I agree with what Rob says you just do not know what kind of show you are going to have. You just have to keep trying Hope this help. Any question just email me.

Tim
www.amptx.com (http://www.amptx.com/)
www.woodfromtx.com (http://www.woodfromtx.com)

steve_g
05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Tim

Thanks for taking the time to post! A couple of questions for you...

1, Are your toys all without finish (concerned about laws regarding finishes on toys for kids under 12)
2. What kind of response do you get from your web sites? and how do you drive traffic to them?

I've been advertising "Made in Texas by a Texas Artisan" to no avail... Maybe some folks don't remember that Texas is still in the USA... HA!

Steve

upsman
05-02-2012, 02:02 PM
He a Video link on the same page on with kind of finish to used. it will tell you how to make it your self.
http://www.toymakerpress.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html (http://www.toymakerpress.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html)

The web page is more for my local customers to order off of and to show my work. It takes a lot of time to do SEO (Search engine optimization) so I just do what i can when I can. I have sold item from CA to NY over the last 3 years. Note sell this year are way down. If you are looking for a web hosting Auctiva Commerce is the way I went. The price is $14.95 for 100 products no other fee. You do the work but they will help you setup your site. They were giving 2 hr of on phone help ea month for free but do not know it that is still going on. But there email tech is very good most of the time less than 24 hr. You could check and see here is a link http://www.auctivacommerce.com/pricing.aspx (http://www.auctivacommerce.com/pricing.aspx)

You should also run an ad on craigslist put an ad under crafts, and Business and run them in a few of the bigger cities.

Also after you get a line of products go by local shop in your area; ACE hardware sells my mirrors and some signs, they buy from local shops and I do all there sign work. Make some catalog and or flyers of your work. Vista print does this work at a very good price. Email me and I will email you there latest email. maroneys@gvtc.com (maroneys@gvtc.com)

TOYS
Small Parts Warning: Some of our product have small parts and are not recommended of children under the age of 3.

You will want to put this on all your toy’s

check this page out

http://www.enasco.com/page/chokinghazard

it is also on my web page at the bottom

http://woodfromtx.com/ContactUs.aspx

Also if you are using any kind of plastic rape you need to have a lable that says

This is no a toy

on the out side of the plastic wrap

hope this help anymore question just ask

Tim

genek
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I just done the derby breakfast for our 3rd year in a row to be invited. This year in four hours we did over 450.00 profit... This was after all expenses was paid... This show is free but it is by invitation only... And is limited to 12 vendors each year... For toys i never put a finish on them... Sand and that it... If i was going to put a finish on toys it would be only mineral oil.
If is food grade safe... Fda is in the process of stopping the use of certain waxes, paints, and varnishes... Mineral has been approved for a long time as food safe, for any age.
We only do shows where we have to be juried into the show... This cuts out the commericaly made product for over seas..... We have every thing from toys to large items like a bistro table... I always have a item that i call my wow factor... It can be as simple as a doll house. To as elaborate as a skeleton... One thing i have learned is have something that the crowd is going to tell their friends to go see. Have something that they will want to stand and look at... The more people that is looking at your booth the more they will buy.... This is our 2nd show for the year... Our first.. Got so busy that i had to call my in laws to come and help.. I had a skeleton set up looking like a chef.... There was lines waiting to get their picture taken and to end up buying items from our booth... We sold out... At that first show.. I am still playing catch up... My next show is in frankfort ky. It is a 3 day show... This year it is june the 7th thru the 9th.. If you are in the area, or have nothing to do come by and see how we do our shows... Our next show will be in louisville ky and it is the end of june and first part of july... Shows are hit and miss but you can cut down on the misses by having items for all ages, and sort of like fly fishing match the event...