PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Problem?

myxpykalix
04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I think this is two separate things. A few times after i start a toolpath i go over and click the button on the side of the control box and i hear it engage the controller and you hear a click but the router doesn't come on.
I then have toi take a hammer or whatever and tap the router slightly and it then comes on and usually runs fine.

Is that a sign that the brushes are going bad?

The second thing is, a friend sent me a couple toolpaths to try and when it was cutting the circle as the router was making its profile cut approx. .25 deep about 1.7 ips (the default setting) in plywood as it goes around the circle it will slow down then when it gets to a certain point in the circle (not always the same place) it will speed up.

I don't think it is directly related to the router issue because the router doesn't seem to bog down or act like it is having a problem cutting.:confused:

pwbell
04-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I have experienced both situations. In both cases, the brushes were bad or going bad.

feinddj
04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I'd replace the bushings and also use air to blow out the off/on switch. More than once someone has said this tool is dead, take it apart and find a pound of sawdust packed in it.

Brady Watson
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Yep - Needs brushes.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem" :D

-B

myxpykalix
04-08-2012, 01:24 AM
what would make it act like it was slowing down as it went around this circle, then speed up? If it was the router bogging down and not cutting as fast as the carriage was running, i would see the router bogging down and i don't think it was.:confused:

Brady, what i was using was a specialized state of the art, high tech prototype called a "ball peen":rolleyes:

bob_reda
04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Jack, there is your problem. the "Ball Peen" comes in various sizes and weights. I always said you get what you pay for, so I go for the biggest I can afford. It usually doesn't solve the problem, it just relieves the frustration.:D

Bob

Rob Gunn
04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Jack, I have a extra PC router that I will make you a deal on. I upgraded to a multi-speed but there was nothing wrong with the original 1 speed that I took of. If you or anyone else is interested then just send me a message and we can work out a deal.

chiloquinruss
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
"ball peen" of course you guys also realize that if it was also a noise issue you could one of dem fancy rubber mallet ones! :) Russ

myxpykalix
04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
russ i just picked up the one closest to me...i have a rubber mallet i just can't find it under all the sawdust and clutter!

Thanks rob i already have a spare that has been sitting for 3-4 years waiting for it's turn. I will probably switch them out and try to fix the bad one.