PDA

View Full Version : New Shopbot, newbie question

BPM
04-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks in advance for your review and posts.

I'm finally getting my shop together - and fired up the shopbot prsalpha 60x144x8.

I read all the documentation I could download - Installation manual (assembly), User's Guide, ATC installation, Getting Started, etc.

I have the latest software downloaded - and updated the control box's firmware.

I'm having a heck of a time firguring out these proximity switches - placement of. The problem is manifested in a couple of areas.

1st, when I run TS as part of aligning the ATC procedure -- the spindle starts to move ... it moves past the Y prox switch and then STOPS -- Input 4 flashes red ... and I have to abort - reset --..

I've set (z2) where the spindle is comfortably an 1" from a practical x and y zero placement on the table (I.e. being conservative and within the envelope of the table).. I still keep getting the same result -- when I issue a C3 command - the spindle will travel past the prox switch and then STOPS with warning screen about past LIMIT - etc etc. i have to abort and then reset.

I then decided to just proceed with the ATC alignment routine... got to the point where i centered the empty tool holder (in spindle) to the upside down tool holder in carriage #1 -- I then installed a drill bit in the spindle holder... with the ground clamp and calibration clamps in place -- the spindle started to 'find' the tool holder in #1 -- and then... same thing -- past LIMIt -- input 4 flashes red..

Maybe all I need is a 101 course on setting up the prox switches..? I see that the switch led (red) is on until it comes in proximity -- then it turns yellow (with a red X over it) .. I can then move (step back) and the input goes back to green -- i.e. the prox switches (bolts) are setup within the physical boundary of the racks... i.e. in Keyboard command I can move the spindle past the prox switches and back no problem...

thanks again - I know that i can call tech support on monday -- and Christian, Frank, Scott, et all are very good at support -- I would just like to get this machine up over the weekend when I can spend some hours learning it.

Brent

zeykr
04-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Go ahead and call support today. Leave msg, they are good atc getting back to you even on weekend s

bill.young
04-08-2012, 09:12 AM
One quick thing to check is that the prox switches are connected to the correct inputs in the control box. Be sure that the X-axis prox switch is connected to input #2 and the Y-axis to input #3.

BPM
04-08-2012, 10:55 AM
I ran through the wiring -- but I'll recheck it.

jerry_stanek
04-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Make sure your switches are on a good ground I ran into a problem where my ground wasn't always there so I ended up moving it over to a different post and that solved it.