View Full Version : Cleaning the z-axis on a 'new' style PRT

jeffreymcgrew
03-05-2007, 11:03 AM
We've been running hard lately, and now my Z-Axis is all full of dust. I'd really like to clean the rack and pinion that's in there. Any tips on a fast and easy way to do this?

Brady Watson
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
If you really want to do it right, turn off the control box, unplug the Z stepper & remove the bottom stop bolt from the T-rail. This bolt prevents the t-rail from falling out. You'll want to pull the coil springs off of their perches as well. Move the gantry so that you can pull the router & t-rail off in one shot, clear of the spoilboard. If your router is facing -X pull from the X0 side of the table, vice versa if it faces X+.

With the t-rail out, take a brass brush & rake the teeth of the rack clean. You may find it helpful to use a solvent such as WD40 to emulsify any grease left on there. Then do the same for the pinion & inspect for wear. With a gloved finger, lightly apply a bit of grease to the rack. You only need a little bit. Alternatively you can use a white lithium grease, I use a spray grease that hardens after it settles. You can get this at better auto parts stores. Reassemmble & check pinion clearance & v-roller adjustments.

-B