View Full Version : Indexer advice needed

mccoy178
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Gentlemen,
I need some advice. I have very limited experience with lathes, so I could really use help choosing the remaining parts I need. Please advise whom I could buy these parts from. I have seen many threads where people have purchased this part and that part, but my mind is having a hard time just taking a chance on what I think is best.

I have the motor, the mount for the motor, and that is it for the actual physical indexer parts. I need to purchase the following:

A chuck for the motor
Rails for the whole system
A tail stock

Any suggestions, more specific the better, would be tremendously appreciated.

bruce_taylor
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
shopbot, everything will work and support is the best available.

Brady Watson
04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
shopbot, everything will work and support is the best available.

X2

Saving money by piecing it together yourself assumes that you know how to put it all together...the amount of frustration and legwork that has to be done, won't make it cheaper than buying a new complete unit from SB, unless you think your time is worth nothing.

There are plenty of threads here showing how to modify a lathe to interface with a stepper to make a relatively cheaper indexer. The tailstock sold with a SB Indexer is $450 by itself with no accessories...add a live center, chuck, drive center, chuck adapter, machined AL plates and other little odds and ends, and you quickly add a whole lot of $$$ to the list.

-B

myxpykalix
04-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Do you have the stepper motor controller? (the black box that goes in the control box) and the cable.
I believe my chuck is a:
http://www.amazon.com/WOODLATHE-CHUCK-WOODWORM-SCREW-INSERT/dp/B003CECDZG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334175133&sr=1-2

Also you need to be aware that you need an adapter plate that connects to the shaft of the indexer and allows you to attach the lathe chuck.