PDA

View Full Version : New dust collection system

zeykr
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Works better than any other dust collection I've tried, at least when I can get it to work.

knight_toolworks
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
how much to hire her?
I thought i Had junk at the ends of my machine you have me beat.

kurt_rose
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
She looks like she's having fun therefor child labor laws do not apply! :D My daughter (now 11 years old) loves coming out to the shop to help daddy. It's a great bonding time! Enjoy it while you can and don't blink because it doesn't last long.

phil_o
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a benchtop shopbot 24" x 32" table. Are there dust collectors like yours available in a suitable size?:D

Phil

zeykr
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, they come in benchtop size also, but require an additional accessory:

zeykr
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Steve,
My shop is always a mess, luckily this shopbot is 7' wide, so usually some room for tabletop storage.

myxpykalix
04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Ken the only problem with this type of dust collection system is that as it ages it costs far more to operate. At this age it might cost .25 cents to operate, at about age 10 it starts to cost about $1, by age 13 it will cost at least $5 and by 16 it will cost you.....a car!
And if you live another 10 years you will have a grandchild/great grandchild to take her place!:eek: and then it's back down to .25cents:D

CNYDWW
04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I have that same tape as the on your have in the pile on the machine. :D

B. Pile
04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow! Ken now thats a nice system. One Question though Is it
a central set up or do you need one for each machine?

Buster

curtiss
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like it could also be used as an automatic tool changer...

zeykr
04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Buster,
I think central use would be cheaper. Have no plans for any more systems like this!

Don't think I'm ready to adapt it to toolchanging yet either. Maybe in the future.

One cost of this system is having to do her projects. We've used the shopbot to make barbie wheel chairs, air power rockets, signs, Christmas ornaments, and many art projects for her school.

Here is the latest project for school, Buzzsaws. (Jack will remember these toys, but he probably made his from buttons). She took 125 of these to school and they are going to make tomorrow when they finish state testing. Rachel did all the drawing on this one herself and re-designed the handles through several iterations to protect her classmates fingers.

If you want to make some, use 1/4 mdf or ply. Use a ~3' string, and tie it in a loop going thru first handle, through one center hole on the saw, through another handle, back through other center hole on saw and tie. Swing it to wind up then start pulling and relaxing handles till you get it really spinning. Keep away from skin - it will cause rug burns!

I'll see if I can find the Barbie wheel chairs. Maybe someone else has kids or grandkids with Barbies missing limbs.

B. Pile
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Ken,
You must be very proud of her, It is so great to read about everyones
children /grandchildren that have taken an interest in working with there
parents/grandparents in the shop.I know for me Buying a shopbot sparked
true excitement for my son and he's 22 so it was worth every penny i spent.
Keep up the nice work and keep us all informed we all enjoy the reading

Buster

zeykr
04-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Don't remember if I posted this before or not but here's Rachel's Barbie Wheelchair for those Barbie dolls who can't seem to keep their legs attached.

Cut from 1/4 material.

Aspire file is too large to upload, so put it on google docs: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6Mww4cX6JvOaWt0Y2VhS09Yc2c