PDA

View Full Version : File question for newb

junglehabitatsplastics
04-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess i need to ask before i draw these out to far along. Im using google sketchup to make some drawings will this even be useable for a cutting file ? or convertable as one? or am i wasing my time

adrianm
04-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Depends on whether it's 2d or 3d you're doing and which version of Sketchup you've got.

Also do you have Partworks or similiar or just the SB3 software?

If you've got Partworks and you're doing 2D then you're better off to draw directly in that.

Just about anything from Sketchup can be cut but whether it's worth the effort for a lot of jobs if you've got more CAM related tools is another matter.

junglehabitatsplastics
04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I have solid works ( not proficient in it yet enough to tackle this ) and a few other prgms but there on another pc 200 miles away. Im basically doing a visual ( hopefully useable) to give someone as a file to go off of for fine tuning

I dont have the sb3 software or anything else as i dont yet own a router ( soon i hope to ) and the sketch up is the newest version 8, its in 3d drawing.
Thanks forthe reply

jTr
04-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm a shopbot newbie and 4 year vet Sketchup user. After Q&A on this forum, this is what I've concluded thus far:

- Don't waste your money on Sketchup pro just to get dxf export capabilities - until someone else can enlighten me how to do it properly, it is a complete mess.
- You'll need to dis-assemble your model, lay flat, flatten parts and export dxf file of the flattened line drawings using free plugins for each function.
- When you get into partworks, pay attention to open vectors. What looks like a simple rectangle from Sketchup can be 4-15 line segments that need to be selected individually and joined, especiallly if you've done any push/pulling for joinery. Make sure you watch for duplicate lines and delete those as well. If you dont do this clean up, you'll watch your machine scribbling lines for hours just to cut a few parts from a single sheet.
- if you want circles, you need to right click when drawing in sketchup, select "divide" and go for smallest segments. Sketchup does not generate curves, rather, multi segmented forms to suggest the shape. Your machine will cut segmented circles, regardless how small they go. I tested a small 12x24 cabinet side with a dozen shelf holes and it genrated a file with 1,300 vectors after turning 1/4" circles into smallest possible segments.

Yes, I'm frustrated and have no simple solution to offer. Others have kindly provided guidance, but it really is quite insane unless you're "stuck" on sketchup like myself and need to force your way through.

For furniture parts, no biggie - once done and cutting files are working correctly, I can simply recall. It is the sheet goods that will quickly have you wondering why you invested in your new machine.

Until I can afford a program half the value of my machine that can generate the drawings expected by clients and handily convert to cutting files for production, I'm stuck.

If anyone else can respond to this thread as well and enlighten both of us, I'd be thrilled.

Looked at Thermwood years ago, but opted for Sketchup as I needed a true "blank slate" to draft everything from stock cabinets to dining chairs.

Looking into Cabinet Parts Pro for short term.
Also have computer programmer looking into a way to convert Sketchup dxf's to a cleaner form for partworks to digest.

With the explosion of CNC and a parallel expansion of Sketchup into the woodworking community, it seems only a matter of time before a working solution is available.

Meanwhile, it is a heck of a crunch trying to get Sketchup and Shopbot to work together.

Jeff

CNYDWW
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
There's a lot of great info in the previous posts. I have other cad and 3d programs but i still use sketchup. Agreed you do not need the pro version. With the right plugins it's not that hard to convert them. Vectric software also has an option to convert to curves for the arcs and circles that does a great job when it's not 100%crucial. I also export 3d from sketchup.

Regards
Randy

jTr
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Randy-
How do you deal with the segmented rendering of a dished out area when you export a 3D file?

jeff

adrianm
04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
It's down to the number of segments you use when creating arcs and circles in Sketchup.

The attached pictures show a dish created with the defaults in Sketchup and one with the segments set to 4 times that number.

jTr
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks Adrian -

As long as mesh pattern is small enough, it evidently carves well(?)

Any of you have advice on using layers in sketchup to reduce layer management in partworks for holes/dados/rabbeting?
Is it simpler to reduce to line drawings and organize in partworks?

nailzscott
04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
The last time I checked a few months back, Version 8 of Sketchup did not work with the dxf export add in utility. I had a friend go back to version 7, since the utility worked with it.

CNYDWW
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for answering the question for him Adrian. Been too busy today to get back to the computer. If i get a chance tonight i'll come back and go over how i export and use sketchup.

Regards
Randy

jTr
04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Randy,
Have spent many hours alternating between searching threads and white knuckling through software - bet someone already did this, but could easily be buried under a seemingly unrelated thread.

I really hope you get the chance to detail your routine- am determined to get this working and your time and input is GREATLY appreciated!

jeff

CNYDWW
04-13-2012, 12:00 AM
A'ight i'll give a little tutorial a shot. First of all, I keep things simple. I don't bother with layers as much. The time i spend is in exporting the different vectors I need. The first screen shot is something I drew up which resembles something you posted in another thread. I'm assuming that all dadoes are at the same depth.

Make sure there are no dividing lines in between the dadoes unless they are in fact at different depths. Double click the dado surface to highlight the surface and all bounding edges. Make sure you do not highlight the entire object. That's where the trouble with duplicate vectors comes in.

Go up to tools and click the export tool. Choose your units. I usually just hit "I" for inches then enter, then "L" for lines and again just hit enter. Name the file and make sure ".dxf" Is after the file name and save. I'd call this "Dadoes-part number". You'll get a confirmation of the amount of lines saved and the surfaces ignored.

From there I'll triple click the object or part then hit "S" to scale. Select the top box in the center for scaling opposite point. Enter in -1 and it'll just reverse the part. Double click and export the back side of the part or object and go through the same steps. Save that as the parts outline.

I would also do the same for any holes you've drawn. With that i usually draw those in the cam program so that's your call.

Once that's completed CTRL Z and undo the scale. (Scale is also a good tool to mirror any parts you need.)

When all the vectors are exported. Begin importing them into your cam software. With Vectric software, once imported do a CTRL A to select and then combine them. From there you can right click and move or copy to their own layer. Repeat for the outline etc. The zero reference will transfer over between sketchup and you cam program.

With this setup, there are quite a few steps however once you learn the quick keys and get the process down it goes really quick. After you've got that down without an issue, you can start playing with components. If each component is drawn from xyz zero in sketchup and then named as a component, the original zero location will stay true even when rotated, flipped, scaled, etc etc. From there you can double click to edit the component, double click the surface you want to export making sure all bounding edges are highlighted. Export and you should still have proper zero when importing the individual vectors into your cam software.

I hope this helps
Regards
Randy

CNYDWW
04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
And the Rest of the screen shots.

CNYDWW
04-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I need to retract the my previous info about rotating components. With previous versions of sketup it didn't seam to affect it however. The current version does export as it is rotated. Another option would be to save the component and open it up in a separate window and then export.

Regards
Randy

jTr
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Randy,
That's a very creative way to manipulate a drawing into something easily digested by partworks! I greatly appreciate your help.

Honestly am in a serious discussion with a friend who is an extremely proficient programmer. I'll share this process, as he may be able to generate a plugin that automates these steps for rapid batch processing from Sketchup.
May have a few more questions, but this is quite enlightening.
Let me know if you are interested in a beta version if we can get this developed.

Thanks again!

jeff

adrianm
04-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Have you seen this - http://sketchuppluginreviews.com/2010/04/30/phlatscript-google-sketchup-plugin-review/

There are lots of other scripts out there for doing similiar things. Lots of people seem intent on trying to use Sketchup for CNC.

Personally I think it's totally the wrong approach but there's enough people doing it that I'm probably in the minority!