PDA

View Full Version : perfect 1/2" 30 degree vcarve bit

khaos
04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Ruined. I loosened the [darn] collet and forgot to hold the bit. 3 feet to the concrete! ARGH!!!! %$$ :mad:^&%:mad:*&$ ##@@:mad:&&&

Now it will be a flat bottom 30degree ... :(

Just had to share with those who understand. Now this is a catalyst for me to get some new bits. Where did I put that phone# from Brady ...

gsmith
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Now you can cut a v-bit with a flat bottom with out a bit change. LOL

jerry_stanek
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
That is why I have the rubber mat flooring

rcnewcomb
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
http://blackwaterdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-simpson-doh.gif?w=290

bleeth
04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
That should only happen to you once in your life.
After that you learn to have the router over the table and just raise it up enough to get the wrenches on. Landing on MDF from a few inches doesn't hurt anything.

From Brady? Try Oberg Brothers-his favorite supplier

steve_g
04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Joe

You've reopened some very old and deep wounds... For me it was the V-bit that came with the starter kit, and my first V-carve project. It was over six years ago and I still have the bit to remind me to be careful... BTW I have never successfully chucked up a 1/16" carbide bit without breaking it... Three attempts and I decided to make 1/8" my minimum size bit.

Steve

paul_z
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
On an early bot project, I ran my $$$ V bit into a steel clamp at 2"/sec. It nearly made it through the clamp. It was quite "memorable" and almost worth the price of "admission".

Paul Z

myxpykalix
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
I have a wooden floor and i have a 120 degree bit from centurion that fell out of the chuck when i loosened it and it fell and stuck in the floor! They are sharp as knives and solid as a rock try them www.centuriontools.com

chiloquinruss
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I've posted this before but when folks ask how I learned about the ShopBot I tell them it comes with experience, then I walk over and get my bag of experience (all those extra pieces that used to be nice router bits! Oh yeah and pieces of clamps!). :) We ALL feel your pain! Russ

Ajcoholic
04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
One more plus for the indexed carbide bits... I just bought two. The replacement carbide cutter is MUCH cheaper (like $20 or less) than toasting a brazed in bit.

I tried some cuts today, and the ones (that I bought from Dimar Canada) are really good! Seem to cut much cleaner than the brazed Onsrud I was using.

AJC

danhamm
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I will have to take a look at your supplier (Dimar).. there is one bit I use a lot its from http://www.beckwithdecor.com/ and its a 30 degree 3 flute cutter, that has a cutting tip edge thats about 1.25 inchs long.. does a really nice job on hardwoods and even better on softwoods..going to upload a pic of a aztec calendar on"pine" with a loonie in it for depth,
pine falls apart or ravels out easy..

Ajcoholic
04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I will have to take a look at your supplier (Dimar).. there is one bit I use a lot its from http://www.beckwithdecor.com/ and its a 30 degree 3 flute cutter, that has a cutting tip edge thats about 1.25 inchs long.. does a really nice job on hardwoods and even better on softwoods..going to upload a pic of a aztec calendar on"pine" with a loonie in it for depth,
pine falls apart or ravels out easy..

Dan,
Dimar is a European company, their cutting tools are very good quality. I have several thousand dollars worth of their shaper cutters, and a few router bits as well.

Here in Canada, Sharpco in Toronto is a dealer, but I can order for the same price through a local tool dealer who happened to set up an account with them, just for me :)

I imagine they have a number of dealers around the country...their catalogue is available PDF style on line (no prices) or you can get a free paper copy which has prices, by filling out a form on the Dimar Canada website.

AJC