PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Air and not to well.

bstern
06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I just got power to my new PRS Alpha 96 60.
I have encountered 3 problems.

1. My proximity sensors show on all the time on the shop-bot software.
I'm wondering if they are wired wrong but I have checked it 10 times. The sensors themselves glow red except when it over the studs. Then they go out.

2. (Made worse by sensor problem) When I jog or move, I get different distances and both are wrong. If I move out to say 50,50 it moves out about to about 30,30 inches and when I jog back to 0,0 it over shoots and slams the stops. (prox sensors would help here)

3. when moving in the y axis the motor sometimes makes some bumping noise on the side closest to 0,0.
I can see grease build up spots that seem to be in sync with the noise about every 5 inches.

Will be working tomorrow (Sunday) so any help would be appreciated.

Bob

myxpykalix
06-02-2007, 11:31 PM
The sensor issue sounds like it is wired backwards. When you say you have checked it 10 times...against what? The directions in the manual? Many times i have had wiring issues and the manual is not up to date and in many cases exactly opposite of what it should be. I can't advise you to change wiring because i don't know the consequences of doing that, but if you have some type of meter maybe you can determine the flow of electricity to better determine the wiring issue and whether it would be safe to change wiring. Maybe someone who is better qualified will jump in.

oscarg1971
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Problem 2, I am thinking that your "unit values" are wrong. Check that they are:

X=2482.8171
Y=2482.8171
Z=2979.3805

-Oscar

knight_toolworks
06-03-2007, 02:21 AM
when i reset my software it turned the prox switches to normal closed closed. I had to change that to open under values and limit twitches. the dinstance go to values and set the unit values to 5 I think for the multipiers.

bleeth
06-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Problem 3 sounds like something is out of square or alignment and you are getting "binding". Keep a close eye on the wheels as you push the carriage back and forth by hand (make sure your motors are unplugged when pushing the carriage around) while "feeling" for the rough spots. You may be able to see which wheel is binding. A lot of guys have had to "tweak" things to get squareness just right.

bstern
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all responses but Still having all issues.
Here is the update:
1. Prox sensors now hooked us at in tech support note with black from Y to #2 and black from X to #3. Light on console is yellow when not on studs and red when on studs. when running prox switch setup routine I get "one of the prox switches is already turned on" when still way away from stud.

2. When I use the variables that Oscar supplied I get the right distance but both X and Y make terrible noises. When I went back to original settings of 1273.2385 all axis run smooth but distance off.

3. cleared up by increasing pressure on consentic nut. Then when I changed values it cam back only worse.

fleinbach
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
What version of the shopbot control softwhare are you using?

bstern
06-03-2007, 02:40 PM

oscarg1971
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
The noises might be your jog and move speeds. What are they set at? I would upgrade to the new Control Software use the correct .ini file. Should fix your Question 2 problems. -Oscar

richards
06-03-2007, 03:37 PM
The documentation for the PRS-Alpha is different from the PRT-Alpha that I have; however, in the PRS documentation it says:

If you have normally-closed proximity switches (input turns off when target is hit) then connect the blue wire from one switch to the black wire of the other switch. Connect the remaining wires from both switches according to the chart above and also connect the included resistor between input 3 and ground.

From the fact that the sensor is glowing red except when active, I'm guessing that you have Normally Closed switches.

Also, the documentation only shows that the inputs from all proximity switches connect to input #3. (You wrote that you're following directions on the Tech Support Note, so the documentation that I'm reading may be out of date.)

If I were you, I would disconnect the wires going to input # 3 and input #2 (be sure to tape the end of each wire separately so that nothing is shorted). Then I would work with the multiplier on the stepper drivers and the unit values in SB3 until the motors move the correct distance. (Since my machine uses older Alpha motors and drivers, my settings would be of little value to you.) I'm guessing, because of the noise and incorrect distance that both the multiplier and the unit values need to be changed. After the motors are working properly, I would hook up ONE of the proximity sensors and fiddle with it until that axis works properly. Finally, I would hook up the second proximity switch and fiddle with it until the second axis works.

One of the great pleasures of final assembly and checkout is that your really get to know how your machine works - sometimes in greater detail than you would have wanted.

bill.young
06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey Bob,

The PRS tools have normally closed prox switches so it sounds like they were originally working correctly...they should be ON when there is no contact and go OFF when they're over the contacts. The X axis one should be connected to the #2 input and the Y axis one should be connected to the #3 input. If you've made any changes to the wiring you'll need to change it back to the original connections...you won't be able to run 2 normally closed switches off the same input.

To get the other problems worked out you should install the newest version of the ShopBot software, 3.5.3 , which is for the PRS tools and PRT tools with 4g boards. Download it from http://www.shopbottools.com/controlsoftware.htm and, before you install it, delete the "shopbot.ini" file that's in your "C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3" folder.

Next install 3.5.3 and you'll be presented with a list of different tool. Select the size PRS tool that you have and the software will create a new ini file with the correct values. You'll also need to install the new firmware that come with the software by typing [UI]...just follow the directions.

This should make your prox switches work the way you want and also give you the correct unit and multiplier values. If you still have problems, a call to ShopBot support would be the next step.

Bill

bstern
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Why in the world would they ship the machine with the wrong/out of date software?

I do not have an Internet connection yet at my new shop so I will have to download the new software and burn it to CD and bring it over for install.

Oscar, where do I get a correct ini file. Where is it documeted? I have seen nothing of this in the asssembley and starup docs from ShopBot.

Where can I find documentation on the value and multiplier. Should this have not come preset or have some documentation in the manual as to how to set it? I guess I have missed it.

I am tired (read cranky) and a little frustrated with the documentation. Half the time sofware and documtation referes to prt instaed of prs so you don't know if it is really correct.

Thanks for the help guys.

bstern
06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I see bill has posted while I was writing my post.

Thanks Bill.

I still stand by my statement Why in world would they ship a machine with old/wrong software. The CD that was in the manual was 3.4.27.

I am burning a new CD now with the new software and will go back over shop and check it out.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

bstern
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
worked like a charm.

Thanks All