PDA

View Full Version : for those using a Becker vacuum (vane) pump...

Ajcoholic
04-22-2012, 03:12 PM
What kind of intake filter is necessary? I am assuming something in line with the pump's intake and the manifold system, to keep fine dust from getting to the pump's vanes.

Is it just a canister style filter like the intake on my big Ingersol Rand compressor? or is there some specific aftermarket item to purchase?

Thanks,
Andrew

Brady Watson
04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Becker dry rotary vane pumps have internal inlet filters. Open up the upper side case and check it, clean it & order a spare.

-B

gene
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Mine has a canister type filter in line on the intake. i use mine as a lift vac for sheet goods from my rack to the shopbot or sliding table saw . i use a roots blower for the shopbot for hold down.

dana_swift
04-22-2012, 06:04 PM
My Becker 5hp vane pump has internal filters like Brady said. It does require periodic greasing of the bearings. It is designed to run as much as 24/7 for hospital use, etc, and at that level of use requires monthly greasing. Be sure to order a spare grease gun for it also.

I do not have spare air filters, but dont get much in mine. I usually go for high vacuum over high flow. When I am getting 20" Hg I know my parts will stay still. All I do with my air filters is blow the sawdust off of them with an air hose. It gets much less than you would think. Its nothing like the air filters on my dust collector. Those require air hose cleaning about every six months and the dust plumes are spectacular.

The vanes themselves are a replacement item. Each 6 months when I grease my bearings, I look at the vanes. So far they have not eroded enough to bother with checking them with a caliper. They are not cheap, but they seem to last a very long time.

Hope that helps make good choices when you order spares-

D

bobmoore
04-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I ran 2 25 horse dry vane Beckers 4500+ hours per year for 5 years with very few problems. Adhere to a strict PM schedule for air filters, oil filters, and oil changes. They should last a long time. If I remember correctly they ran 23 inches maximum vac. As stated earlier 20 inches of vacuum and those parts are not moving. We had Komos and they were programmed to shut down below 14 inches vacuum.
Bob