PDA

View Full Version : Problems and Questions from a newbie

BPM
04-22-2012, 07:17 PM
I am new to CNC routers -- so some of my questions will be basic stuff. Thanks in advance for all your help.

PrsAlpha 60x144x8, 2010 machine, 5hp HSP, 8 tool-ATC, 3axis, plus indexer & 2nd Z (neither are installed currrently), Vaccum table (blower not hooked up yet)
(I purchased this machine recently - doesn't look like it was ever used..)

Problems:

1) I've calibrated the ATC twice - following the directions exactly --- however, when I enter the command to get a tool - and choose tool #1 (or any other)-- the spindle moves to the
correct position - however, Z does not go 'low enough' -- it looks like it should go about 3/4" lower -- the result -- the spindle attempts to load the tool holder -- then it proceeds like it did.. however,
when the spindle moves out away from clip #1 -- the tool holder is still in clip #1 -- and simply gets knocked out of the clip, and falls to the ground.

2) Spindle RPM -- when I choose the RPM control under tools -- it comes up... shows 'preview' for a few seconds then shows the RPM at 2333 -- I cannot change the RPM value... either by entering there - or going to the work sheet form....

Questions:

A) I set the Jog speed to the max at 30.... however, when I'm in K (keyboard mode -- using the arrow keys) it moves pretty slow.... how can i get the tool to move the same speed as when it goes to grab a tool.... ? i.e. 'faster!'

B) When I shut the machine off -- I'm using the on/off lever at the control box... this shuts down the 230V -- however, it looks like the 110v stays on... should i also kill the power to the 110V when I shut the machine off?

C) Where do I find information/documentation about the types of bits I should use for various cutting? The router came with 3 bits -- V-carving bit -- 1/2" plunge bit (I think), 1/2" Up cut spiral bit..

I need to get an education on the types of bits to use - and where to get them.

My immediate needs for bits would be to do the following

1. Cut out curved shapes from hardwood -- 3/4" to 2" in material thickness --(maple, Walnut, Mahagony, Birch, Beech, etc)
2. Drill 3/16" holes into the same material
3. plunge router a rectangular recess area into the material face... 1/16" deep into the surface 2.5"x4" (this recessed area is for flush mounting a plate to the wood)
I'm a little concerned about the plunge routering of these recessed areas... when I do this using a hand held router - I have a template secured against the material face
(much like a door hinge template) this helps to reduce any 'fraying' on the edges of the plunge area... however, with the CNC router -- there won't be a template pressed
against the material face... any feedback on this concern?

D) Do you have any diagrams/pictures of dust collector installations? I've got a two bag Powermatic collector that I was planning to use -- I think it's 3HP.

E) 17Hp blower --- I haven't installed this yet... and was wondering if people 'enclose' it for sound proofing -- the thing looks like it will be noisy! (pics would be nice!)

F) Vacuum table -- based on my needs I'm pretty sure that I'll need to make a new vacuum table, I'll be cutting out parts from sheeted material (flat) - however,
I'll also be cutting out parts from material that is not flat ---

for example: a board that is 42" long x 12" wide by 1/2" thick -- however, it has a 'camber' from end to end -- such that if you lay it on a flat table - the
middle of the board will be 1" off the table -- ( think cambered beam)

for these parts - the camber/length/width/thickness are all the same -- so... - do you think it's possible to make 'matching plates' out of MDF that have the cambered surface --
so that the suction will hold the board in place?

I am imagining that I would need vacuum sections the same size as these plates -- so that the draw (air flow) is concentrated through them...

thoughts?

G) Consulting services $$ -- Anyone in Southern CA (Orange County) interested in providing some consulting services -- i.e. to help get me up and running --

thanks again!

Brent

garyc
04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Brent...
Because of a number of recent changes to the ATC configuration files, your best course would be to email or call SB Tech support.

SterlingDevelop
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I can address the vacuum enclosure question - IMHO don't do that.

Those suckers (pun intended) are LOUD.

When I couldn't stand it any longer, I put it outside the 12" thick exterior block wall of my building on a well tamped gravel pad and a rubber horse stall mat - built a simple shed roof over it with corrugated steel roofing from HD and my intention is to wire in a engine preheater to a thermostat.

Anyway, nice low hum instead of jet engine scream. I don't think an enclosure would do it for me - it's not just the decibels it's the pitch, very irritating.

I love the vac table - nothing like it for convenience.

Hope that helps,

Brent Green

BPM
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the views and replies -- I sent Shopbot an email about the ATC

How far away do you think i can install the blower? I'm tempted to move my CNC next to an outside wall and do what you did.

Brent

Brady Watson
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
The 17hp model is most likely a Regenerative blower - in which case it's 'hum' isn't any worse than a 3hp dsut collector. If it is a roots blower (looks like 6-71 blower/supercharger) than that is a different story. It will literally rattle your skull @ something like 92db and must without a question go outside.

-B

garyc
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Brent...
Where are you located in SoCal? I happen to be in LA at the moment

Ajcoholic
04-22-2012, 08:25 PM
C3 - use a downward spiral cutter (instead of an up spiral) and the top surface will be free of fraying.

AJC

BPM
04-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Gary -

My shop is in Irvine - close to John Wayne Airport

Brent -949-929-4986

beacon14
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
A. Hold the "Crtl" key while pressing the arrow keys in Keyboard mode to get Jog speed moves - limited to something less than the 30ips max but still faster than a regular move.