PDA

View Full Version : routings

bobmoore
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Is there a way to print out critical data about each product in partworks/sbp? I am getting too many products to remember zero locations, material thickness, bit used ect. for each toolpath and those settings. We called them routings in manufacturing plants I have worked in. I can make a form and fill in manually the data but if there is a way to print out from the software it would be more efficient and more accurate logging modifications. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Bob

steve_g
04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Bob

I hope someone has a better answer for you... right now I use ridiculously long file names with all pertinent data in them.

Steve

adrianm
04-23-2012, 12:20 PM
What I do is to use the various notes field available within Partworks. There are notes for the projects, tools and toolpaths.

I then output the toolpaths to a text Post Processor that creates a file I can print off with all the notes plus the actual tools used by each toolpath, z-zero locations etc etc.

Greybarn
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
We import virtually all of our toolpaths from Autocad drawings, so we use the autocad drawing to include all of the pertinent data. This includes the file name, what job it is for (in our case it is a hull number), whether to zero to spoilboard or top of material, bit(s) size(s), RPM(s), where the 0, 0 is located, what material we are cutting, etc. The person who runs the cut file, then initials the drawing, adds the date it was cut, and then files it in the notebook we have next to the machine. This may be a bit overkill but it means almost anyone can run the file and we have a record of when and what got cut for each job.
Regards
Peter

bobmoore
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Steve thanks for your reply. I will try to utilize your proceedure for accuracy of identification as I tend to use too short of names IE cutout (how many cutout's can you have?) I am looking for something external to sbp so I don't have to close shopbot , open partworks for data, close partworks and open shopbot again.

Adrian that is a really good solution and I may have to use it but it is still a lot of typing (makes my finger sore). Do you know if I can import a form into the notes field and just fill in the blanks?
Thanks Bob

adrianm
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Everything in that example I posted is created automatically. I didn't put any notes in it (apart from the makers ID of the tool) to show the level of info you can get without entering anything.

srwtlc
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Like Adrian stated, you can edit your post processor to add any of the various notes options to your .sbp file and you can then open them in SBEdit to read/print the notes. You could also add your own fields where you could then open the file in SBedit and fill in the blanks.

There's also the SB Header Writer that will append information to files that already exist. Although, it may not have all the fields you want and some you don't want.

bobmoore
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Gentlemen this information looks like exactly what I need. I am going to have to sit down and go through this .Will keep you posted on progress.
Thanks much. Bob

Ajcoholic
04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Bob,
I have also started keeping many folders for various types of jobs (similarly as I do with my shop drawings, and card file folders in my shop).

I have a folder for each customer, and only put the stuff pertaining to that "job" in the folder. Then, I put the necessaary info (bit size, etc) in the file name.

It is easier to first go to the necessary folder, then find the file... vs looking through all the files in one main folder.

AJC

adrianm
04-24-2012, 04:24 AM
This is an example of the type of output you can get. Save the toolpaths using this making sure the "Output all visible toolpaths to one file" is checked and all the toolpaths are checked.

You could add the relevant parts to your normal ShopBot pp.

You will need to rename it from .txt to .pp as the forum doesn't allow .pp files to be attached.

curtiss
04-24-2012, 08:59 PM
At the top of each project folder I have one fake toolpath file with provides some basic information such as "a 24x36 x3 4 hp 12 18 which provides the size of the material and the home position. the "a" makes it show up at the top of the list. You may need more than one of these for handy information as you look at the list of toolpaths to run.

Below that, a typical toolpath might be titled "1 4 em text 010" which means a quarter inch end mill for text 1/10 th of an inch deep.

You have to call it something you can remember 6 months from now... avoid using too many dots in your file name.

bobmoore
04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
OK I have found the notes fields of partworks and toolpaths, have written some information into them , but can't find the notes that I wrote. It is probably going to be real simple and I will feel foolish but there you go.
Thanks if you can help or for trying.
Bob

srwtlc
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Bob,

You'll have to open your pp file and edit or add those variables in so that it writes them to your file.

Take a look at Adrian's 'LogFile.txt' file and you'll see the formatting for it. Also, there is a document from Vectric somewhere too. Check the help menu in PW for post processor editing. Otherwise I can send it to you.

bobmoore
04-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks Scott. I am sorry this is so slow to to develop but I am trying to open my retail store. My Bot time is now interupted with mundane painting , flooring, and ect. Bob

Towersonline
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
I put text right on the CRV file drawing. Usually in a blank space on the drawing or just above the border. I also use long file names but that gets confusing at times.

One could put the text on a different layer so it could be set as not visible.