PDA

View Full Version : 98 Shopbot info

Larry Kite
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I am looking at purchasing my first shopbot. A local gentelman has a 98 4x8 shopbot, cable drive,3 1/4 porter cable which he is keeping, 4th channel, 2nd z axis, computer W/ parts wizard. I would just like you veterans opinions on the machine. Pro's and con's, cable drive ok? what wears out faster? Approx. value? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brady Watson
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Larry,
That is a 1st Gen ShopBot. Back in the day, they were fantastic machines, simply because there was little else on the market in terms of a CNC that was within a craftsman's grasp. A lot changed between 1998 and 2001. The Cable Drive was upgraded to a rack and pinion system with a utility strut chassis (like the cable drive) and shortly after, the PRT came on the scene with a heavy steel frame, steel angle rails and other improvements that really made it a useful tool.

The PRT went through a few revisions and that gave rise to the PRS tools. I would not consider anything older than a PRT. It is a great tool and can still be upgraded to give performance close or equal to the PRS tools, depending on options. Cable drive tools are very slow and do not have a lot of torque. The machine ways/rails are the corner edge of utility strut and the wheels are screen door rollers. Try to find a PRT Alpha or PRT Standard and get into the game.

-B

Larry Kite
04-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks Brady! I was hoping you would weigh in. The under 3k price tag was attractive, but i dont want to buy something that cant do the job. Thanks Again!