PDA

View Full Version : Optical Delusions

feinddj
04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Client wanted a pattern cut into a cherry board for a door panel. Looked great but it'll make your eyes cross.

David

joe
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
David,

That's beautiful but it scares me. If this was my panel I'd be on pins and needles worried about tear out or some glitch. I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of it until it was finished.

Good on ya.

Joe Crumley

Brady Watson
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Beauty-ful work! :D

Just be glad YOU don't have to clean it!

-B

CNYDWW
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Art Deco on crack?:eek:

gene
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
What program did you draw it in to get those sharp corners? Looks awsome!

Ajcoholic
04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
That does look great!

AJC

srwtlc
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Kudos on the minimal burning with cherry and little if any chipping at the peaks! Was it over cut in depth and run through a surface sander?

Just looking at the picture is bad enough, I bet it tries to tear your eyes out in person. ;)

feinddj
04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
done in Aspire. Two passes. I set the z up by .0625 and ran the first pass, and then zeroed back to the actual z to run the second pass. No burn, no tear. I did a sample panel to find speed, feed and passes.

Here are a couple of shots of the panel on the first pass.

I am less worried about cleaning than sanding it!

D

myxpykalix
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
That does look like nice clean cuts and a neat pattern. I just wonder if it is going to collect alot of dust? Nice job.:D

Chuck Keysor
04-28-2012, 03:59 PM
David, you panel does look quite nice. Thanks for posting.
a) What speeds and feeds did you use to avoid burning?
b) I thought it was pretty tricky the way you made two passes. But, assuming you have the newest version of Aspire, and are V-carving, why didn't you simply program Aspire to make two passes? I have not used my Aspire much yet, but I have gone through the tutorials, and recall that when you are setting up the cutting bit parameters, you enter values for how many passes, the depth of each pass (and of course speed, feed, step-over etc). Thanks, Chuck

feinddj
04-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Chuck,

the tool path used is a v carve/engraving toolpath. That does not allow for multiple passes. I did try setting the bit for a shallower cut but it left an undesirable line on the side of the pattern.

D

Chuck Keysor
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Hello David. I have opened up Aspire (3.5) and selected the V-Carve toolpathing command, and then clicked on the "Select..." VTool button. On that page there is a section titled "Cutting Parameters". The first box in that section is the "Pass Depth" variable.

Won't this allow you to make the two passes you created? Or is this disabled for V-Carving? Or, am I just confused?

The few V-carvings I have done have been so shallow, they only needed one pass anyway. Thanks, Chuck

feinddj
04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
The problem is the line that the first pass creates. Doing it the way I did, with two passes at "full" depth eliminates the line.

danhamm
04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Check the angle of the V-bit, I had this problem with a set of bits, and the angle was off..instead of 90. degrees they were 85.

feinddj
04-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I will check.

David