PDA

View Full Version : For those with the Porter Cable routers...

Ajcoholic
04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I have a spindle on my Shopbot, but I use a Porter Cable 7518 on my router table in the shop.

I recently purchased some new collets for it, from

http://www.precisebits.com

They make a precision replacement collet for the router, very similar in design to the ER25 spindle style. The prices are very reasonable, and the service was outstanding.

Just thought I'd pass it along..

AJC

Rick W
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the heads up Andrew. I am going to a wedding in the states next month and was planning to get me some collets. Have been thinking about this for a while. Just out of curiosity sake, how much did it cost you to have them shipped and what do you do about the duty?? I had one cd (software) shipped by ups and they wanted $78.00 for duties, brokerage, bla bla bla.:eek: I'll never do that again.

Rik

CNYDWW
04-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I've ordered bits and collets from them a few times. Good service and prices always. Just watch out for the precision collets mounted in a table, After long runs they tend to get packed with sawdust. Use their collet care per the directions. Usually comes with your collet purchase.

Regards
Randy

Ajcoholic
04-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up Andrew. I am going to a wedding in the states next month and was planning to get me some collets. Have been thinking about this for a while. Just out of curiosity sake, how much did it cost you to have them shipped and what do you do about the duty?? I had one cd (software) shipped by ups and they wanted $78.00 for duties, brokerage, bla bla bla.:eek: I'll never do that again.

Rik

I purchased a 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" collet along with one nut, a wrench and the collet care kit. The price was $87.95 US, and sipping was just under $20 to me here in Ontario.

They shipped Fedex (came in about 5 days) and I only had a charge of $21 and change upon delivery... most of which was our 13% tax on anything we buy (including from the USA).

AJC

Ajcoholic
04-28-2012, 08:28 AM
I've ordered bits and collets from them a few times. Good service and prices always. Just watch out for the precision collets mounted in a table, After long runs they tend to get packed with sawdust. Use their collet care per the directions. Usually comes with your collet purchase.

Regards
Randy

Yup, the collet care came as well. I am pretty meticulous when it comes to cleaning and looking after my tools and tooling :)

AJC

Rick W
04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks Andrew. Maybe I'll give it a shot and not wait for the wedding.

Rik

bob_reda
04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Just what I was looking for. Just broke a 1/4 and 1/2 collect cutting alot of corian;. I'll give this a try.

Thanks
Bob

michael_schwartz
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I agree. The aftermarket collets from precise bits are so much better in every way than the OEM collets.

Rick W
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey Andrew,

Was just reading your reply, was that 87.95 + 20.00 + 21.00,

or just 87.95 + 21.00?

Rik

Ajcoholic
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Andrew,

Was just reading your reply, was that 87.95 + 20.00 + 21.00,

or just 87.95 + 21.00?

Rik

Yes. The cost of the items was $87.95, plus the 20 dollars postage.

Upon delivery, I had to pay revenue canada about $14 tax (HST here in Ontario) and the rest of the $21 was the "brokerage" fee for FEdex to collect the tax and send it to our government on my behalf :)

If it went UPS I would have expected about a $50 charge, as their brokerage is outrageous. I find Fedex, or regular USPS fine.

AJC

Rick W
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks Andrew!

Rik

tda
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes. The cost of the items was $87.95, plus the 20 dollars postage.

Upon delivery, I had to pay revenue canada about $14 tax (HST here in Ontario) and the rest of the $21 was the "brokerage" fee for FEdex to collect the tax and send it to our government on my behalf :)

If it went UPS I would have expected about a $50 charge, as their brokerage is outrageous. I find Fedex, or regular USPS fine.

AJC

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

If you have a FedEx number (anyone can get one) you can get rid of the brokerage by having the taxes and duties charged to your account. It has to be done at shipping and if you don't have a big discount with FedEx have the shipping company use their account for shipping. We do this for a number of customers in Canada.

If you get a chance Andrew could you PM or email me your invoice number. It should not have taken 5 days to get to you and I'd like to see what happened.

If anyone has any questions or anything I can help with let me know. I should be around.

Ajcoholic
05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody.

If you have a FedEx number (anyone can get one) you can get rid of the brokerage by having the taxes and duties charged to your account. It has to be done at shipping and if you don't have a big discount with FedEx have the shipping company use their account for shipping. We do this for a number of customers in Canada.

If you get a chance Andrew could you PM or email me your invoice number. It should not have taken 5 days to get to you and I'd like to see what happened.

If anyone has any questions or anything I can help with let me know. I should be around.

I live in a fairly "isolated" northern town. The postal service does the Fedex delivery and it always takes an extra day or two.

Trust me, it was much faster than expected, and I thank you!

I imagine if I was nearer to a larger center it would have been a day or two less.

Regards,
Andrew Coholic