PDA

View Full Version : cutting miters

tverdin
05-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I have a 11 year old PRTstandard with the V4g upgrade. I am using Part Works 3.0 to write my files. I am working on some a couple of things that I will be producing quite a bit of. Is it possible to write a file to do a miter cut with the miter facing up? Basically the router would have to make a Z movement at the same time as a X and a Y. If so how would I do it?

Brady Watson
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Tommy,
Yes - It is possible to do this. If you can post a pic or explain more, that would help to nail down a solution. The toolpathing software makes all the difference, although there are ways to manually program this type of move, depending on how complex the operation is.

-B

tverdin
05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Hopefully this will help. This will be assembled like the hand drawn picture but will be the shape of the PDF pic. so basically I will be putting together 8 pieces to make the crown that I am building. let me know what other info you need.

steve_g
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Tommy

I'm not sure I have a good understanding of what you're doing... But , will a 90° V- bit do what you want?

Steve

tverdin
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I dont beleive so, the material thickness will be .75" so I believe the V bit CL would have to be that .75" to work. which maybe they make? im not sure. I could look into it.

steve_g
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
No, not at all! by using a V-Carve tool path the software will step down any size bit to form your miter.

Steve

steve_g
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I created some pictures to better illustrate what I perceive you're trying to do...

Steve

tverdin
05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
how do you do it in partworks? ive not used any V bits so that is very new to me.

steve_g
05-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Tommy

I'll show how I work with V-carving as abbreviated as possible... I'm working on a V-carve talk to share at next years Austin camp ShopBot, It's 45 pages long right now (yikes). Feel free to ask additional questions!

1. V-carving is not just cutting with a V-bit. V-carving uses closed vectors to control the depth of the cut (see Illustration 1).

2. You can create offset vectors to cut through your material by using a chart or calculating the offset necessary for your angle of V-bit. If, like in your case only a small section is V-cut, you create the closed vector that will do what you want... (illustration 2)

3. Create your tool paths using V-carve path generator tool it brings up a menu with many options... for now just be sure the correct bit is chosen (illustration 3)

4. Cut the parts! I've shown some ideas I use frequently... A profile with beveled edges and a fold up box. the 4X4X6 box will fold up and with tape on the joints like hinges while gluing, grain patterns flow from one panel to the next. Lots easier than cranking the blade over on the table saw! ( illustration 4)

Steve

CNYDWW
05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I've done this before without the V carving. You can just draw line vectors and offset. What you need to do is draw a line where you want the miter to begin then offset it the cut depth you want or can achieve with the v bit. Say it's .5" The line that was created with the offset's cut depth would be .5" for example. Next offset you can set at 1". Keep in mind pass depth when you do this as well. Each offset will double the depth @ 90 Deg.

steve_g
05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
"I've done this before without the V carving"

Randy

What you did was essentially V-carving manually! V-carving can add unnecessary paths (the ends of the closed vector for the miter) but it works for any size 90° v-bit with out thinking about it! Truth be told... I use linear paths when I make my fold up boxes as I have very large V-bits and can do them in one pass

Steve

CNYDWW
05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Randy

What you did was essentially V-carving manually! V-carving can add unnecessary paths (the ends of the closed vector for the miter) but it works for any size 90° v-bit with out thinking about it! Truth be told... I use linear paths when I make my fold up boxes as I have very large V-bits and can do them in one pass

Steve

Yes you are right. I do whatever i can in Cut2d that i don't have to do in bobcrap...err bobcad.

Regards
Randy

gerryv
05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Real nice work Steve, when the time comes, why not market your presentation with voice over on iTunes for all those crazy iPad users like me who will surely buy a copy and make your wealthy ;)

aschutsky
09-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Tommy

I'll show how I work with V-carving as abbreviated as possible... I'm working on a V-carve talk to share at next years Austin camp ShopBot, It's 45 pages long right now (yikes). Feel free to ask additional questions!

1. V-carving is not just cutting with a V-bit. V-carving uses closed vectors to control the depth of the cut (see Illustration 1).

2. You can create offset vectors to cut through your material by using a chart or calculating the offset necessary for your angle of V-bit. If, like in your case only a small section is V-cut, you create the closed vector that will do what you want... (illustration 2)

3. Create your tool paths using V-carve path generator tool it brings up a menu with many options... for now just be sure the correct bit is chosen (illustration 3)

4. Cut the parts! I've shown some ideas I use frequently... A profile with beveled edges and a fold up box. the 4X4X6 box will fold up and with tape on the joints like hinges while gluing, grain patterns flow from one panel to the next. Lots easier than cranking the blade over on the table saw! ( illustration 4)

Steve

Steve - do you happen to have any other material on miter folding techniques?

steve_g
09-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Andrew...
Here’s a rough draft…
Let me know what needs clarification, what you like and most of all what you (or anyone) feels is wrong… I don’t want to see this document spread around the web as I will incorporate it into the book I’ve been working on for a few years now…
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBWUjRyRYlhaeUFTRGFCeEE/edit?usp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBWUjRyRYlhaeUFTRGFCeEE/edit?usp=sharing)
SG

barrowj
09-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Steve,

That is awesome work, it is very well documented and I will give it a try.

scottp55
09-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Steve, Saved it my reference library, hope you don't mind?
If you're whole book will be like this sign us up for two copies! :)
You're great at explaining things! Thanks!
scott

barrowj
09-30-2014, 10:44 AM
I would want one too, if it's anything like this it would be a bestseller. I have already filed this away in my project lists too, can't wait to try it. Would love to get some easy to run carvings like you did, guess I will have to start playing with that too.

Steve Wonser
09-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks for sharing this Steve! Your explanation and illustrations make things very clear. Sign me up for your book when you finish it.

chiloquinruss
09-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Steve G - sent ya' a pm. Russ

aschutsky
09-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Andrew...
Here’s a rough draft…
Let me know what needs clarification, what you like and most of all what you (or anyone) feels is wrong… I don’t want to see this document spread around the web as I will incorporate it into the book I’ve been working on for a few years now…
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBWUjRyRYlhaeUFTRGFCeEE/edit?usp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBWUjRyRYlhaeUFTRGFCeEE/edit?usp=sharing)
SG

Steve - VERY cool, thanks much for sharing. I'm definitely in for a copy when you are finished as well.

BTW - do you happen to have any sample vcarve files with the parameters set up?

steve_g
09-30-2014, 06:28 PM
First of all… Thanks a bunch for those of you who have PM’d me with suggestions and spelling issues… My daughters and wife “glaze over” when they read my stuff! I think I’ll be asking some of you-all to be my editors! I really enjoy writing… But I was a “look-see reader” (Dick & Jane) with no phonetic background. Angel and Angle “look” the same to me!
Andrew…
In my book, I try to be sure you learn everything you need to set up and run your own files, but since it’s not out there yet… I’ll come up with something!
SG

aschutsky
09-30-2014, 07:09 PM
First of all… Thanks a bunch for those of you who have PM’d me with suggestions and spelling issues… My daughters and wife “glaze over” when they read my stuff! I think I’ll be asking some of you-all to be my editors! I really enjoy writing… But I was a “look-see reader” (Dick & Jane) with no phonetic background. Angel and Angle “look” the same to me!
Andrew…
In my book, I try to be sure you learn everything you need to set up and run your own files, but since it’s not out there yet… I’ll come up with something!
SG

Steve - that would be fantastic, many thanks.

Also - do you have a full topic list for the book? Are you taking suggestions? :)

Burkhardt
09-30-2014, 09:36 PM
....Angel and Angle “look” the same to me!....

Sounds familiar in reverse. Since English is not my native language I am very aware of the correct spelling of words. But quite often I have a hard time to pronounce them in an understandable fashion. Never mind my accent, anyway.

You should hear me ask for a tarp at home depot yesterday. It took me four attempts to light the clerk's match and say "Oh, you mean a tarp!". Drives me nuts sometimes. No, I am not Indian.