PDA

View Full Version : Makita or another Router motor?

johnnie53
11-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm buying a PR96 and I need to buy a new Router motor for it. The current owner likes the Porta Cable(So much he's keeping it for another use). But suggests that I look into a Makita or another router motor, as the PC router motor is very noisey. Has anyone had luck with finding another motor that may do the same job without as much noise? I was going to buy a new Alpha with a Colombo spindle( more power,and less noise),but this used machine came up,and money is tight right now, so the PR96 is the machine I'm buying.

paco
11-15-2004, 11:26 AM
PC is not only noisy but "defective" as the lower bearing is wrongly design/installed; too much load on it and it's a sealed and should be shield... Sorry, I don't have any experience with other router but plan to choose another...

richards
11-15-2004, 11:30 AM
I've tried several routers on my Alpha. In my opinion, at the same speeds, they are all noisy. The Bosch and the Makita are less noisy than the Porter-Cable, but they don't have nearly as much power either. Depending on your table, (steel or wood), the table can act like a sound amplifier (bass drum effect).

matt_r
11-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried a Hitachi M12V? I've had one for about a year now, installed in my table saw/router table. I turned it on the other day (hadn't done that in a while), and I was surprised how quiet it was. Certainly quieter than the PC on my shopbot. I'm not sure how mounting it would go, but I bet that some clever bot user could find a way. Anyway, you can pick one up on Amazon.com for fairly cheap, usually less than $200.

cnc_works
11-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I've gone to the Porter Cable 890 router for both my CNC's. It isn't as powerful as the 7518, but works well for everything I've asked of it so far and is considerably quieter even than the 690's I had standardized on previously and major quieter than the 7518 that came with my ShopBot. Lately I've been cutting a lot of 3/8" acrylic in one pass, no problem, no straining sounds. It is a lot quieter and has newer designed electronic speed control and one wrench bit changing.

The one downside is that you have to get an adapter because it is smaller in diameter than the 7518.

Donn

gerald_d
11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Good to see that Porter Cable is now talking about Peak HP on their routers (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2810) - this is different to what other guys call "plain old useful" HP.

Brady Watson
11-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I have an 890 that I use just on a small router table. So far, it has been good to me. What gets me about the PC 3.25 HP routers is how many people complain about the premature bearing failure. Has anyone called PC to talk to them about the bearings? Seems to me that it would be in their best interests not to have a group of people telling others not to buy their product on the internet...not to say that the owners don't have due cause.

I imagine that the PC wasn't designed to be used for hours on end on a CNC...this is why most CNCs use duty-rated spindles...I know some botters that have their original bearings after many years...and others with heat issues and failure right out of the box. I know I'd be fuming if I just spent $350 on a router that is defective...or even 6 months down the line.

Doesn't anybody make a comparable router to the PC as far as power goes?

-Brady

paco
11-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been told by a PC rep. that's it is normal for me to almost burn my fingers on chuck/collet/bit after it's been running for some time!?!?!?!?!?!?

This same guy confirmed me that it's a sealed bearing?!?!?!? It is so loaded that my retaining plate been bent by him?!?!?!?!
PC is off my list for sure!
There is a Milwaukee that's look interesting but there are no supplier around me to check on the tool... sorry, I don't remember the model # but you can find about there http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/frmIndex?ReadForm
I really wish that someone could have been testing it...

Brady Watson
11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Sounds like one heck of a router... Check it out (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=27&catalogId=40027&langId=-1&productId=284401&mainHeader=Tools&categoryId=189 343&mainCategoryId=362&parentProd=281166)

I would definately go for the Milwaukee...with 3.5HP/15A and advertised as 'production motor' it's hard to beat at about $175 with no base. Read up on it, there are several improvements over the PC.

-Brady

fleinbach
11-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Paco,

Milwaukee makes very sturdy and reliable tools. I personally have used both Milwaukee saws all, Milwaukee 1/2 drill and a Milwaukee 1/2 right angle whole Hog. They are indestructible. Nearly every electrician uses a Milwaukee drill for this reason.

Brady,

I see you made the spotlight. Congratulations, I hope you get to stay longer then I did.

Brady Watson
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks
I thought yours was a little short on duration...

You are right...they don't make junk. I bought a Milwaukee drill & Sawzall because my Dad's has lasted 20yrs and still kicks...

-Brady

matt_r
11-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Brady,
Where did you see it for $175? Everywhere I check online, the lowest I've found is $309.

-Matt

Brady Watson
11-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Oops!

I meant $279...sorry guys: here (http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/5625-29.html)

stevem
11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
That Milwaukee router is .040" smaller in diameter than the PC 7518 but should fit with some shimming.

Currently I'm on my third PC 7518 in 8 months. This one seems to just get warm after several hours use. PC customer service has been first rate, but the tool seems to be poorly designed and manufactured. The Milwaukee looks like the way to go for a powerfull router with 5 years warrantee.

ron brown
11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I've torn up almost every make of tool I know of one time or another. That includes PC; Milwaukee: Black and Decker, Hitachi, Ryobi, Stanley, Makita and I am sure several other brands. Porter-Cable has always replaced the tools -as most other brands do also, without negative comment to me.

I think most tools are sold to folks who never really push tools to their limits and those folks subsidize the ones who return them during the warranty period.

Ron

paco
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
What is that mean Ron?!?! I've return my PC to PC tech. and they simply send back the same "defective" tool!?!?!
Now just a question open to ALL; do you get your collet/bit as hot as you could be burning yourself on it AND would you think it's normal?! I don't... I do some steel fabrication too and my grinder, who turn at about 30 000 RPM, never get any hot nor it's fit... I agree with Steve and Ron that the PC service is somewhat as good as any other but the tool is simply BAD product returned as BAD(from my experience and from what seem to be for MANY other users of this "tool" on this forum)...
I'll be looking for another model than any PC for sure!!

Just my (2 USD cents X 1.24 = 0.0248 CA cents), well 3 cents!...

arundo
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Has anyone tryed the Bosch or DeWalt 2 1/4 hp ? Less than $200.each.

richards
11-16-2004, 01:53 AM
I've used both the Bosch and the DeWalt. They're reasonably quiet and work fine for light cuts, but I've always gone back to the Porter-Cable 7518.

As far as the Porter-Cable goes, to me it's just an expendable tool. Currently I have three, one on the Alpha, one mounted in a router table and one in its original box on the shelf as a spare. I've used the table-mounted Porter-Cable about as hard as any tool in my shop. So far, after 3+ years, it's still on its original bearings and bushings (although it sounds like its getting close to an overhaul). The Porter-Cable in the Alpha has been pushed hard since July. Sometimes it runs hot and other times it just runs very warm - same material, same feed rate, same RPM, same cutter.

I haven't tried the big Millwaukee, yet, so I can't comment on it; however, until I get into a shop with more power where I can use a spindle, the Porter-Cable 7518 or something equivalent will have to do. It makes lots of noise and has about 1/2 the power that I need, but it's still the biggest motor that I can use with my limited electical setup.

If anyone has used both the Porter-Cable and the Millwaukee, I'd like to read a comparison of the two.

arundo
11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
What thickness ply would the 2 1/4 dewalt be good up to? When cutting .5" to .75 ply is there a big differance in noise between the dewalt 2.25hp and the PC 3.25hp?

richards
11-16-2004, 11:12 AM
With the 7518, I normally cut 18mm (.70 inch) baltic birch to a depth of 0.55 inch on the first pass at 3-4 inch per second using a single flute 3/8-inch cutter. Then I cut to 0.65 - 0.67 depth, trim pass at 10 - 12 ips second removing only 0.030 - 0.040 inch to clean up the cut.

With the Bosch and DeWalt, I never went deeper than 1/4-inch per pass; however, I have not done extensive testing with the smaller routers. I tried several that I had on hand during the first month that I had the Alpha to see if something less noisy would work. The noise level with the 1-1/5 hp and 2-1/4 hp routers wasn't too much lower than the PC 7518 when making a cut. Admittedly, the test wasn't very scientific. I started a cut and then walked around outside to see how loud the router was. All of the routers were loud enough that I don't start cutting before 8:00 a.m. and try to finish by 7:00 p.m. So far, the neighbors haven't complained, but the next step is to line the shop with sound deadening material.

jay_p
12-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Has anyone had a chance to try the Milwaukee motor yet. I am considering buying one. I have always had good luck with their tools in the past.

jay

paco
12-10-2004, 04:40 PM
I encourage you to do so Jay... I plan to too soon (but I did'nt find any close reseller yet)... this model seem quite promising but one of us as to try it first!
... it should fit readely, or pretty much, in the SB 7518 PC holder...
Please, keep me informed of your finding... I will when I had try it!

DanSwofford (Unregistered Guest)
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I've used a Bosch 1617 for a year with many hours of use. It is down now for bearing repairs. The router is fairly quiet with the speed turned down some.