PDA

View Full Version : 1-1/4 surfacing planer bit data

Andrew Porter
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I have a 1-1/4" planer bit for surfacing the waste board. I would like to use it to cut a large area pocket 0.1" deep in fir plywood. My tool data base in Vcarve doesn't appear to have this bit. Can anyone give me the appropriate feed, plunge rates, stepover etc?

Thanks,
Andrew

paul_z
05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Call it an endmill.

Feeds and speeds vary based on what you are cutting. If it's MDF, you might start with 2"/sec and 20K RPM.

I'd probably not go more than 1/8" step down maybe less depending on your bit.

Step over depends on how nice the pocket needs to look when it is done. You might try 25% for starters.

Paul Z

knight_toolworks
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
8k is plenty fast. make sure you do a fairly large ramp in as most of these bits can't plunge. 2ips is fine and try to go with the grain. stepover just depends on how fine you want it but 50% is usually ok.

Andrew Porter
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Paul and Steve.
Thanks for the quick response.

I tried a small section Monday night at 0.1 in. cut depth, 50% Step Over, 12000 rpm, 0.83 in/sec feed rate and 0.5 in/sec plunge rate. The material was B/C plywood. I felt this was too aggressive judging by the sound and the scorch marks. I failed to see how hot the bit got.

I'll try again with a lower plunge, feed and stepover. and see what happens.

Thanks

paul_z
05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Linear speed was too slow. Try 2"/sec and maybe cut the RPMs by 25%.

If a bit is cutting well, it will be just warm immediately after cutting. Burn marks, smoke, hot bits are almost always the result of rpms are too high/ linear speed to slow. It drastically shortens the life of the bit. You want to make chips, not dust.

Dull bits can be a problem at any speed.

Paul Z

paul_z
05-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Can you post a picture of the bit you are using?

Paul Z

knight_toolworks
05-03-2012, 03:15 PM
rpms are too high the bigger the bit the faster it spins. I ramp at 3ips with say 6" of ramping. feed rate 1 to 2ips or a bit more since you are taking so little off. Though I would do the profile cut first so you don't get tearout.

paul_z
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Andrew,

I notice you did not mention ramping into the cut. That is critical with this type of bit. If you try to plunge strait down ... well let's just say the result would be exciting to watch (and smell)!

Paul Z

gene
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
i smell that fire comming, she's comming round the bend. i aint seen a fire like that since i dont know when,,,,, you must watch out for the heat build up on large cutters that are moving slowly. the ramping out taper is a very good idea. i done seen 2 of them fires and dont want to see no mo:eek:

myxpykalix
05-04-2012, 01:17 AM
i smell that fire comming, she's comming round the bend. i aint seen a fire like that since i dont know when,,,,,

Gene it sounds like you got the blues....those folsom prison blues...:rolleyes:

CNYDWW
05-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Cash is king.