PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Free Church Pews?

myxpykalix
05-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I have been asked if i wanted some of these church pews and wondered if anyone had suggestions about what i could do with them? I thought i could cut them down and make smaller couch/loveseat/chairs out of them but there would be wasted material in the center.

Does anyone know what wood they are made of and what i could use it for?

adrianm
05-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Don't know what the market is like over there but over here church pews are in BIG demand for houses.

I'd sell them and then buy some nice wood!

CNYDWW
05-05-2012, 09:03 AM
There's your answer above. Sell them to a salvage company in the UK.

garyb
05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Why not donate them to a needier Church :)
Gary

Ajcoholic
05-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I was thinking start your own... church that is :) I hear they make pretty good $$ :)

The church of CNC... lol.

Absolutely no offense meant or implied. I was an altar boy for about 10 years when I was younger. So figure I am allowed to make a wise crack or two re church ;)

AJC

myxpykalix
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I might as well seeing we all are desciples of our leader Ted Hall. I see it now, The United Machinist Church of Shopbot. We have our three wise men of Bill, Gary, Brady.:rolleyes:

shoeshine
05-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Jack I'll echo Adrian's post.

In St Louis, where I used to live, church pews were a pretty hot item for residences. Of course a lot of the upper end homes there were 3 story brownstones, so they all had long central halls next to the staircases that just asked for that size and shape. I saw at one point a really nice vintage pew from a cathedral in town go to auction for $12k.

myxpykalix
05-06-2012, 02:25 AM
one idea i had was to cut it down and at a 45 degree angle to make a corner breakfast booth type thing. I haven't seen them yet but the pictures don't look like anything antique or special.

Mayo
05-06-2012, 02:34 AM
If you do get some and cut them down for love seats, the extra could be cut to coffee table height when it's turned on the side. Two L shape pieces could be the base of a coffee table.

Unless the wood is stained plywood instead of the nice mahogany it looks like. It could be steam bent plywood. Or maybe it's oak. I think a lot of church pews are made of oak.

There's lots of church pews listed on ebay...
maybe similar ones listed will describe what the wood is.

Coleman Becker
05-06-2012, 03:01 AM
when are the sermons hopefully an online one also so shopbotters all over can attend

Ajcoholic
05-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Up here in Canada, a lot of white ash is used in church woodwork.
When I was young, my father was contracted to make several pieces, an altar, chairs, lecturns, etc as well as a lot of mill work.