PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Winerack by Woodmarvels

myxpykalix
05-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Jon,
I just happen to see that video, very cool. Just another product in your line of things. You might do well to venture out some from your toy designs.:D
for those who haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrg4afwZ64&feature=g-all-u

WoodMarvels.com
05-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Jack - I don't come on TalkShopBot as much as I should but happy you liked it - I'm moving AGAIN and need to pound-out as may designs as possible before I have to crate the ShopBot Desktop for a trip overseas. I've launched the associated video of me cutting with the ShopBot and showing the model off at

http://youtu.be/C5kBncvPkOk

Yeah, I'm not just a "toy" guy - I want to get into lots of things! I started with toys as that was easy to cut using a laser cutter (now CNC and soon 3D printer) and the small size is perfect for shipping. Some of the upcoming CNC designs are much bigger and substantial... I'll be cutting a CNC siege weapon tomorrow (not shown yet) on the ShopBot Desktop that requires 8 x 6mm (1/4 inch) sheets of 500x400mm and the finished model measures half a meter (39 inches) long!

Nice things about toys is that it can be anything - try making a chair with 10 legs and people think you were drunk when you designed it... make a toy with 10 wheels and you're a toy god hahahhaha (siege weapon has 20 wheels by the way). CNC has taught me a very valuable lesson - my models are generally way too small - they need to be bigger... MUCH BIGGER!!!

I'll post a picture of the prototype siege weapon here - has many issues but that's what the ShopBot is for... to find and fix problems!

Jon
ps: The winerack design isn't mine, it's Phil's - I just made it "CNC'able" and after the website updates are done (site was offline for 3 days, now back-up and being upgraded as we speak) - available on my website.

myxpykalix
05-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Man you are looking pretty "Scruffy" with that beard! Moving overseas? I hope you are not moving to pakistan or afghanistan!:rolleyes:

Just remember wherever you go you can always still log on to the forum and keep us up to date on your exploits and designs. Good Luck:eek:

rbarrow
05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Jon...
I am totally impressed by the quality of the videos on your site. If I may ask what software tools are you using to animate the parts flying in place. Excellent work!

WoodMarvels.com
05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
@Jack: Agreed - I told my wife while I was in China that I wouldn't cut my hair or shave until we met again... thinking it would only be a matter of 2-3 months before we immigrate to Australia... it's been 7 months and counting! Oddly enough, the TSA and border control agents don't seem to care and I haven't been strip searched yet!

@Roy : I use Autodesk 3DS Max 2013 - about 3.5K$US to buy and a very steep learning curve.

The siege weapon (prototype picture attached) is basically a more
refined and major upsized version of the laser version of this
http://www.woodmarvels.com/onager-siege-weapon-b.html with even more
pieces but still using 6mm material! Just watch the video of the laser version (scroll down to the bottom) and you'll get how it works. I cut everything with a 1/8 straight double-flute bit using way to many screws for hold-downs and the cheapest plywood I can find (it's prototyping, not for anybody to play with)... in this case, it's an advantage, makes the model look tough and worn!

I have a good backlog of projects so looking at a few weeks before this bad boy is released... slow-down is rendering the animations out then making the assembly instructions.

Jon

myxpykalix
05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Oh My i can see it all now....you go thru TSA screening like you look, they check your computer and find the plans for your "seige weapon" and think you are working with the "Tally-bon". Well it sounds like you have some exciting adventures ahead, so keep us updated to your exploits.:D

WoodMarvels.com
05-12-2012, 07:38 PM
That's the easy part, last time I went through customs on a business trip I had to explain to the agent what 3D printing was! He didn't believe what I was saying as being possible... wait till he wakes-up in a few years. When I crossed the ShopBot Desktop into Canada the agent had a puzzled look on him as to what is this huge machine doing filling-up the car - he sent me right to have it checked after I mentioned CNC... again, not a clue.

Jon