View Full Version : Z axis mounting... more space around!

paco
12-28-2004, 11:37 PM
I recently installed my Z axis a different way than suggest from the manual. I now have a totaly cleared space under the X carriage. I changed the installation of the router holder too... Mounting the router holder give me more room around the router body which prevent the axis rail part and spring's hook from hiting clamps which I use mainly... this is assuming that the dust skirt is not used though...
Here some pics that demonstrate:

...one that I found particulary revelent...

This setup enhance the total travel of this axis too; I can move up to 8" now or 6" with most tool bit... this late pic is with a 1 1/8" foam bit; I clear 6 1/2" under!

Brady Watson
12-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Paco,
You might not be able to get all the way down to the spoilboard with small bits...So you will have to place a riser board underneath the part to be engraved/machined if in 1/8-1/4" material.

-Brady

paco
12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
I've tested this and I can go down to about -1 1/2"... maybe more!? Sorry no pics to demonstrate...

paco
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Brady-
I've just made a check on this and at top most of the Z travel, with a 2 1/4" tool bit. I have 5 3/8" under it's tip with a 2" thick support/spoilboard... The Z axis (I have) have a total of 8" of travel so I can touch the spoilboard surface with the collet with around 3/8 - 1/2" more down travel into the spoilboard!?

Brady Watson
12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
As long as your collet can touch...you'll be fine. I raised my gantry 2" and I sometimes have problems running short bits in thin material. By small, I mean like 1/16" diameter bits with only a CL of 3/16".

-Brady

paco
12-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Note where I have installed the router holder... I do have raised the Z but I have lowered the holder... I must say that you are not the first to reported this to me! I made this change because I was limited like you with the default installation... and not clearing the X bridge under...