View Full Version : New Vacuum rig

khaos
05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
OK, so all vac hold down talk got me to break the friction between my lazy boy and my butt. :p

I wanted to experiment with some hold down. I usually hold smaller parts than a full sheet. This is a sandwiched device that can be clamped or screwed to the table. The vac and the PVC board is one given to me by a friend. :D The 1st image is the top and the second is the base that is bonded together with the channels to allow the vacuum to make its rounds. In the fourth pic you see the small square with the gasket material. Unfortunately, its not usable. Its proximity to the vacuum makes it impossible for the cutter to get near it. I did not cut through to the vac ports so i don't need to seal this.

I added gasket material around all the sections. I also added rail slots on all four sides to allow consistent placements. In the 4th pic you see the the little squares with a little gasket material on the bottom. I set these on the holes and the vac holds them tight. Not a high tech solution but a utilitarian one. I had thought to mount the vac under but this was quick and easy.

I am astonished at the holding power of the vac! :eek:

1 hour design time
2.5 hours to cut
20 minutes to assemble

.25 straight cut 4ips on the top sheet
.5 straight cut 4ips on the top sheet

bobmoore
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
That design looks very versatile. I am not following what the elevated squares are for. What is your vacuum source/1n hg and cfm?
Thanks Bob

dana_swift
05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Joe- where did you buy the laser line generators? (Included in the last photo..) I need a pair for one of my ongoing bot improvement projects.

D

khaos
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
That design looks very versatile. I am not following what the elevated squares are for. What is your vacuum source/1n hg and cfm?
Thanks Bob

The elevated squares allow the vac to get around provides phtsical support from sagging caused by the vac. I have no Vac guage so I really have no idea. I know i put a piece of bamboo flooring on and I could only budge it with mechanical advantage. Interesting point the bottom of the flooring has 3 approx 1/8th" channels that run the length of the board. This held with no issue. I see myself making a bradyvac style holddown for intricate parts. :D

khaos
05-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Joe- where did you buy the laser line generators? (Included in the last photo..) I need a pair for one of my ongoing bot improvement projects.

D

Right here (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2082700/31945/woodriver-universal-drill-press-laser-attachment.aspx) @ woodcraft.

HTH,

David Iannone
05-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I like the looks of your laser guide setup. Thanks for the link, I just orded one of them.