PDA

View Full Version : Do I need Zero VOC for Kid's Beds?

pkirby
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I've recently started making some children's beds, and I'm about to hire out the painting part to a local cabinet finisher(haven't decided which one). I know very little about cabinet grade paints, but I was wondering if I needed to use a Zero VOC paint? To me it seems that since high quality paint sprayed via HVLP cures a lot sooner than latex house paint, there wouldn't be much of a need for the Zero VOC. But I could be completely off base. Does anyone here have experience with this to give me some recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul

steve_g
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Paul

VOC laws apply to paint manufacturers... and people who feel it's important to advertise a green agenda. It's been proven time after time that the higher the VOCs the better the paint performs in regard to durability. HOWEVER I think your real issue is certificates of no heavy metals, if your beds are to be used by children under twelve.

Steve

Brady Watson
05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Depending on state law, the paint may have to be fire retardant.

Shellac is non-toxic when dried, but it really isn't a paint.

-B

bleeth
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Paul-Some juridictions have rules regarding toxicity of paint used in childrens furniture. Check your local laws.

dlcw
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Paul,

I wouldn't worry to much about your finish. All finishes dry to be safe now a days. Even things like conversion varnish.

What I would worry about a WHOLE lot more is the new regulations regarding manufacturing and sale of childrens furniture. Also, you should worry heavily about the liability insurance you will have to carry. A while new set of regulations came into affect later last year or early this year that made it almost cost prohibitive to do childrens items unless you had really deep pockets to have product certifications done on what you make.

Both my lawyer and my insurance agent advised me to stay clear of doing anything for children because of the EXTENSIVE regulations and liability. So I don't do childrens furniture or toys anymore. Way to much to worry about.

pkirby
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys. I checked the state laws of Georgia and didn't find anything directly related to paint in children's furniture. I spoke with a sales guy at a painting supply and he said the paint he carries (Fuhr Wood Coatings) is a low VOC and that after it cures, it will not off gas any more VOCs. So I think I'm going to try using that stuff.

steve_g
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Paul
Here's some nightmare reading

Steve

"The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 authorized a variety of new regulations and testing requirements for children’s products and some non-children’s products. The CPSIA fundamentally changed how product safety is regulated in the United States. If you are a manufacturer, importer, distributor, or retailer of consumer goods, you must ensure that all of your products comply with the CPSIA and other laws (http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/actreg.html) enforced by the CPSC."

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

CNYDWW
05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
I also want to throw in that standard sized beds such as twin-california king. Are not regulated. If you sell twin size and up and do not label them as a "Children's Bed" then you do not need the testing. Keep in mine someone may construe a certain style as a children's bed which could lead to issues. As said before, talk to a lawyer. I've actually lost customers because i refused to make a bunk bed or children's bed smaller then twin sized.

Regards
Randy

gerryv
05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Is it only a question of off-gassing or also one of ingestion - i.e. little kids like to gnaw on their cribs, which was the trigger behind the lead based paints laws.

michael_schwartz
05-14-2012, 08:40 PM
CPSC lead regulations may apply. I have no idea about regulations in regards to VOC content of finishes used on a children's product. There may be VOC restrictions in regards to spray application, depending on where you may be.

I agree. Talk to an attorney, and run this by your insurance agent. Get a definitive answer.

Furthermore your insurance provider may be assuming based on your classification that you are not making children's toys, or furnishings. Just because there is no exclusion on your policy, doesn't mean you are covered.

This may mean, instant denial of any claims resulting from one of these products.

The CPSC lead regulations, need to be fixed. For a while at least, they were exempting toys if they were made from raw wood and left un finished. As soon as any finish had been applied, you would have had to pay $ to have that item destructively tested. Even if the finish had likely already been tested for lead. An example would be finishes sold for surfaces that will come in contact with food, or products such as pharmaceutical grade mineral oil.

I can make a wood cutting board, and finish it, and sell it to somebody who will use it to prep food for their child, but I can't just make a children's toy and apply the same finish, without having it tested?

Anybody who would be ignorant enough to go paint a toy with 35+ year old can of lead paint will do it anyway. The last time I checked there there really are no consumer finishes, or paints that contain lead. If there are, that should be the responsibility of the coatings manufacturer.

Some automotive colors do, and they are clearly marked, and generally only sold to professionals. Maybe some lettering enamels, like one shot still do, but again they are marked as such and sold mainly to professionals. People who would apply these products to a children's toy, will do it regardless.

pkirby
05-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Is it only a question of off-gassing or also one of ingestion - i.e. little kids like to gnaw on their cribs, which was the trigger behind the lead based paints laws.

It's mainly a question of off-gassing. As for the government regulations, I'll keep my opinions to myself because they aren't filled with appropriate language for this forum:D