View Full Version : How Would It Hold Up

sleepy
10-13-2004, 01:55 PM
How do you think a benchtop would hold up if it were mounted in a enclosed trailer and you traveled selling signs at Swap Meets and other type festivals.

fleinbach
10-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Apsolutly excelent. I see know reason why it wouldn't.

Brady Watson
10-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Yep should be fine...I see creative entrepreneurs think alike
Make sure you get a good reliable generator with a big tank...

-Brady

fleinbach
10-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Adding to Bradys statement about the generator.

Since I have a construction company, we, and our subcontractors have a need to run generators quite often. 90% of them have Honda engines. Plus nearly all have auto idle. The reason for the Honda engine is because they start easier then any other. As for the auto idle feature, in my opinion I would never have one without it. It can barely be heard when ideling. A 5,000 Watt generator with auto idle, electric start and 4- 15 to 20 amp 110v circuits plus at least one 30 Amp 220v can be found for aroud $1,800.00

sleepy
10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I have wondered about this for 4 years now. Ever since I got my benchtop.

billp
10-15-2004, 12:10 AM
David,
We went over something like this at the Oklahoma Camp last year. When someone brought up the possibility everyone chimed in that the real issue will NOT be the Shopbot. It will be whether or not you will be actually allowed to turn it on and cut. Insurance regulations , neighboring booths, etc. all might govern whether or not you can openly run the machine. There is also the libility of people getting too close, bits breaking, etc.
If you were able to have the trailer sit in the parking lot with someone manning it and pumping out signs you might have a better chance. But I'd want to know well in advance what the rules were at any of the prospective swap meets before I loaded it all up and hit the road..

mikejohn
10-15-2004, 01:29 AM
In the UK, I have seen a guy woodturning.
He had a trailer with a large window, well soundproofed and well lit.
People stood around in droves watching him work.
Outside, his wife was doing great business selling.
I have noticed that demonstrating your craft always attract a crowd.
In the past, i have had to stop making my rocking horses because I was blocking the surrounding stalls with my crowd.
Whoever works the shopbot, however, is going to need good ear and dust protection!

stevem
10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I would recommend squaring up the entire machine and then welding all the steel parts to prevent movement during transport. Some kind of shock absorbing mounting, or air ride, would also be useful.

sleepy
10-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Steve
That is what I was wondering I currently have 2 enclosed trailers A Wells Cargo 12 ft. and a Haulmark 24 ft. I know it gets pretty bumpy out on the road.

stevem
10-17-2004, 09:18 AM
You need a router that has very good torsional stiffness in order to maintain it’s accuracy when it gets to it’s destination. A Shopbot’s base is not torsionally stiff and does not lend itself to movement. You will spend more time squaring it up than actually cutting anything.

I am in the process of designing a router that will be trailerable. I believe the way to go is a triangulated space frame similar to that of a NASCA chassis. This will result in a machine that is ridgid but still light enough to allow easy towing. Will post pics when I’m done.