PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a CRAZY idea!

myxpykalix
05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
I had a crazy idea of taking this piano that someone wants to give away and making a COOL headboard and bed out of it. I was thinking i could strip the insides out, take the keys out (where red lines are) and make that into a cool headboard. That section where the sheet music sits i'm sure opens up and you could make storage there. Heck you could make this into the footboard and have a tv in there!
What would something like that be worth when made? Is it worth the effort or am i just crazy?:eek:

khaos
05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Take the keys and foot pedals and make the footboard. Get some cool bedclothes in a piano motif and viola. Send the pics to the home makeover guys and post on ebay. Charge AT LEAST the price of a high quality bed. I think its cool. :cool:

zeykr
05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Re purposed furniture is in, so done well could be worth quite a bit. Keys may be worth something by themselves depending on age of piano.

Or you could just learn to play!

Another fun project would be a CNC piano - like the old player pianos but run by a pc - download a song and the piano plays it.

dana_swift
05-21-2012, 10:21 AM
I recognize that pianos are not as valued as they once were, but once disassembled they seem to never get re-assembled. We just get fewer pianos.

I suspect that instrument was built when the spruce in the soundboard would have growth rings about 1/64" apart. Try to replace that.

Someday someone may look at my shopbot and think.. gee.. I could get all of the nuts and bolts out of it and throw away the extrusions. What is left could be used as a shelf to store my collection of antique blue-ray cds that nothing plays anymore.. after all its the year 2059 and who wants to learn about vintage CNC equipment anyway?

Sigh.

D

myxpykalix
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
They say it is around 100 years old, and i had a hand in redoing a player piano with my uncle when i was a kid. I suspect it was because my arms were skinny enough to help insert the rubber tubes carrying the air that needed to be replaced due to dry rot.
I don't think this is a player and the deal killer is going to be the moving from one place to the other. I just wish i had about 6 strong sons that i could round up to help!

steve_g
05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
The old piano photo brings back some memories... Summers, throughout High school I worked at a local music store. I did Piano "repair and restoration" in the basement... Here's how it went. Little old lady wants a new piano, she has a "very valuable" family heirloom piano to trade in. Salesman goes and looks at the trade in piano "a very nice piano... after being lovingly restored it will serve another family well for generations to come" she is told. "However we can only give you $300.00 trade in allowance due to the amount of work required to bring it back to like new condition." The little old lady is pleased that it will be lovingly restored to it former greatness and completes the deal. The piano is put on the freight elevator and sent to me in the basement. My job consisted of reducing the piano to a pile of fire wood and scrap iron... lovingly.

SG

gene
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
everything has a life cycle.

curtiss
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Making a headboard out of a piano is not a bad idea... the crazy idea would be trying to "make a harp" out of what is left.

myxpykalix
05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Those of you familiar with the 3 stooges can pretty much visualize what tearing the insides out of this is going to look like. Woop, Woop, Woop!:eek:

frank134
05-22-2012, 12:22 AM
you could turn it into a nice bar. That what my dad did with the one they had.