PDA

View Full Version : Independant axis control

myxpykalix
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
In talking to Shopbot they said to d/l the latest beta version Setup_sb3_8_1beta19 and in reading the upgrades it mentions the independant axis control and here is my question....
lets say i want to carve a lampbase and i have my profile in a dxf. Previously (I'm trying to recall from memory since its been a while) I would "call up the profile created from a partswizard profile"

So to now do the axis control you do a MI command and i understand it will just keep spinning till you tell it to stop. But i'm not sure how to implement the cutting file from there?
Is it as simple as having created a "profile cut" of the vector outline of the lampbase and after having set your x,y, and z calling that file up to cut after you have started your MI command?

I'm unclear on how it knows to cut the profile in a x,z as opposed to a x,y (like if it was side cutting) If that makes sense?:confused:

steve_g
05-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Jack

Can you cut from the side and make it a XY profile?

SG

steve_g
05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I think that the extruder tool does what you want...

SG

myxpykalix
05-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Physically, assuming you have a side cutting bit, like a reeding bit, you could cut from the side. I guess my point of confusion is hoe to program for the different paths shown here.

steve_g
05-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I imagine it will be something like this... See attached photo. Start high and step down. How much? Don't know, will need to play with it. You still have a problem with the bit diameter... Need to figure how to do a V-carve path. more later!

SG

garyc
05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Jack...
Your pictures are correct. YOU will need to learn how to either place the material (or the vectors) properly and swap the axes to enable the proper axis to cut the profile that you wish to cut.

This type of cutting is the basis for the axis swapping virtual tools, ie. the extruder and the axis swapper. My column on the "Z Extruder" : http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2010/12/z-extruder/ may explain how I changed X and Y 2D cutpaths into one for the Z.

There are 2 methods shown there. Hopefully one will work for you!