PDA

View Full Version : Patio Chair...

steve_g
05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I enjoy watching my grandsons play baseball... I don't enjoy sitting on bleachers designed for people a tenth of my age. Last weekend I couldn't get out of the canvas and aluminum tube fold up camping style sling I'd been using. (Grrrrr...)

I had seen the fold-up wood patio chair in the "projects ready to go" section of the SB web site, and was intrigued. I don't know who's design the chair is, but it is well thought out and pleasing to look at. However, I wanted MY chair to be lightweight as I have to carry it from the parking lot to the diamond. The plans call for 3/4" exterior plywood... I didn't feel bad about substituting 1/2" Baltic birch for the legs. I suspect that the 1/2" BB is stronger than 3/4" exterior ply any day! I wasn't sure about my plan to substitute 1/4" BB for the 3/4" slats however... The 1/4" slats made it so that the tenons came through... that's OK if you consider it a design feature!

The 1/4" slats turned out to be VERY comfortable! They act like springs and mold to my back and butt, for anyone not familiar with Baltic Birch, Don't equate it with U.S. products. If I'd used H D 1/4" material, I'd be on the ground in a pile of rubble!

Version two will have the slats all radiused , the square corners are a little sharp.

SG

dlcw
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Very cool Steve. I think I will make me one for next years softball season at the high school where my daughter plays.

gundog
05-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Very nice chair Steve, It looks like you may need to extend the back or risk a neck strain. LOL

Mike

steve_g
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Michael

This one actually fits my wife very well... I played with angles and leg lengths to see if I could make one that was absolutely ideal for me... I decided that all I need to do is scale the whole thing up a few notches! More to come!

SG

whittlinshed
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I purchased my shopbot from my aunt after my uncle died, and this was one of the first things I cut on it...I am very impressed with the design. Everybody that has seen these have fell in love with them and want to know if I will make them one. Whoever originally designed this chair done a wonderful job in my eyes...I did however add a lil design on the back.

steve_g
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Davin

Thanks for posting your photo... I'm still wondering how I'm going to decorate it when I make one "uniquely mine"!

SG

whittlinshed
05-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Like I said, I am new to this whole shopbotting...I have been a Contract Painter for around 15 years, so it's a bit of a change for me. I am exploring and playing around with different things. I haven't made any for anyone, only for myself while trying to get used to running the bot. I will definitely change it around to make it my own design.

myxpykalix
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Steve,
a couple questions, does this thing fold up or no? What was the weight of it to have to carry?

Oh and also who is that sexy looking:rolleyes: handsome model:rolleyes: you had posing in the picture with your chair?:eek::rolleyes:

ssflyer
05-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I like the chairs, but how well do the legs hold up, sitting on the corner edges that way? I think I'd modify the design a bit so that they sat lever with the ground.

whittlinshed
05-26-2012, 01:23 AM
They actually slide apart then you turn the seat around and slide it down from the top of the back portion...as far as the feet, I agree that sitting on the corner is a bad design, but after looking a lil closer, that is the proper angle for storage...when put together, the feet work perfectly for it to be propped up against a wall...so if u changed the legs to sit level with ground while performing as a chair, then the angle would be off when it is put together for easy storage...

steve_g
05-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Jack: To add to Davin's explanation I attached some photos. My version with the thinner wood weighs in at 9.2 lbs (with no finish).
Ron: Regarding the foot angle... I agree, especially since some of the ball games will have me setting on grass! I checked the angle each will have to go to be flat on the ground and when nested they will be opposite directions, messing up the neat nest. I'll have to give this more thought.

Never mind that old man in the photo... he's just someone who hangs around the shop all day!

SG

mtylerfl
05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I really like those chairs! I am going to make something similar for our lakeside gazebo as soon as I get some free time...very cool, and sooo much better than wally-world plastic chairs (which we have now).

Perhaps what I'll do is just cut a small portion off each leg at the angle it takes to allow the legs to not sit directly on the sharp corners when in use. I'm thinking that shouldn't interfere with sitting flush to the floor when stored since enough of the original angle cut will still remain.

myxpykalix
05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
It seems to me that the most important angle is the one it is at when you are sitting in it. I would make my design with that angle on the ends of the legs. Who really cares how it sits leaning folded up against the wall?:)

steve_g
05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Michael
I'm making an "up-scale" version... I enlarged it 20% and made the feet flat. See the attached image for how it nests... If I don't like it in real life I'll trim them down. I'll let you know later in the week.

SG

mtylerfl
05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Michael
I'm making an "up-scale" version... I enlarged it 20% and made the feet flat. See the attached image for how it nests... If I don't like it in real life I'll trim them down. I'll let you know later in the week.

SG

Cool - that looks like it'll work just fine! Looking forward to hearing about (and seeing) your results.

genek
05-29-2012, 11:59 AM
does anyone have a dxf file on this wonderful chair... need one to relax in while i recover from the accident.

chiloquinruss
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/projects.htm

Half way down the page is the links to all the files. Russ

bleeth
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Eugene:
For longer term sitting you might want to try this one!

http://www.shopbottools.com/LabFiles/adirondack.htm

ssflyer
05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
The link for the Adirondack chairs has reservations about using plywood. I actually made an Adirondack chair and footstool about 3 years ago from plywood. I held up OK, with several coats of a water based polyurethane, but still not as well as I would have liked...

steve_g
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm going to try to run my "up scale" version tomorrow... I had two more stents put in Tuesday and I've been cleared to "play" in the shop (no work). My problem is I can't decide which design I like better... Any opinions out there?

SG

ssflyer
06-01-2012, 09:06 AM
I like the first one - cool design!

steve_g
06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I guess this is really a better example what I was after... a woven cane insert look. I'll make the top crest two ways and if the one with the holes all the way through isn't weakened too much, I'll use it.

SG

steve_g
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Version 2: Up-Scale (20%)
The original was a little small for me... Here is my scaled up version.

NOTE: I did not scale the width of the chair... it's the same as the original.

I extended the feet to make them have more contact with the ground... hopefully less sinking in on grass. This had another unanticipated benefit... when a five year old stands on the front edge of the original design it tips forward, dumping the child, un-nesting and pinching fingers. The extended foot moves the center of gravity forward...

The radii on the slat corners were a nice addition.

Even though this decorative pattern didn't receive the most votes, my wife's single vote won the race.

1/2" Baltic Birch is on the ragged edge of being OK for this enlarged versions legs... There's a little bit of sideways shimmy. I likely won't hold all three grand kids and tickle them while sitting in this chair! 3/4" material would be a better choice for this size chair. After watching children interact with this chair... I'm going to reinforce the first seat slat and I'm going to use pegs or connecter bolts to keep the two parts properly aligned, eliminating potential pinch points.

The 1/4" seat and back slats are very comfortable!

The scaled up version is enough taller so that when carrying the nested parts the hand hole in the top crest is worthless... unless you're 6'-6" tall... It's still useful for scooting the chair around on the ground though.

SG

scottbot
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
That looks great Steve.
I like the pattern on the side. It really dresses it up.

Scott

myxpykalix
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
That "old cowboy" in the picture looks comfortable!:D
How tall is he? Because the seat dimensions on the back of his legs and up his back look perfect.
One thing i find is that the seat on some chairs doesn't support the whole back of the leg down to the knees and you tend to pinch the backs of your legs somewhat. This design looks great!:D

steve_g
06-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Jack

That "Old Cowboy" used to be just over 6' tall... now with "desiccated" disks he's 5'-9½" . I haven't sat through a ballgame yet but preliminary indications are that it will be very comfortable!

SG

myxpykalix
06-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Is that "old cowboy" you? Let me ask a question about your design. From what i see in the picture the back seems to be pitched backwards and to sit more straightup you would have to design the pitch of the arc for the backrest more straight?
It's not a criticism of the design but because I have a bad neck and shoulders holding my head forward to be level is a source of pain.

I'll tell you what i'm waiting to see....is your version of this chair in a "lounge" version with a high back and maybe a optional leg rest:eek:

Oh and don't forget the cutout in the armrest for the optional beercan holder.:D

steve_g
06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Jack

Yep, it's me... The chair is very comfortable for me to sit in but a little hard to get out of. I'm still playing with angles by propping up the back legs. When I find the right angle, I'll try version 3! I understand pain... for me it's hips and back. Maybe it needs to have adjustment options built in to cater to individuals. One idea I had is to add large wheels where the two components cross... I'll call it a "Wheel Chair". HA.

SG

ssflyer
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Steve,

Looks great - I've also found that as time goes by, I seem to sit down way easier than getting back up. I'm pretty sure that gravity has been steadily increasing over the few years!