PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ontario Wild Fires

GlenP
05-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Well one of our fellow shopbotters lives in an area in state of emergency due to wild fires here in Ontario Canada. Andrew Coholic.
Andrew hope you are not in harms way and mother nature helps fight the fires and remove the threat of any further devastation or loss. The news tonight claims the winds are not helping the fight. Hope you and yours stay safe and out of harms way.

dlcw
05-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Stay safe Andrew. Remember stuff can be replaced, people, animals and important photos can't.

We go through the drill here every year. Our wild land fire season goes from mid July to mid November. Wild fires everywhere. They have a special 10 minute segment on the news each evening to update everyone watching as to where the fires are and where they are forecasted to go.

At least I don't have to worry about tornadoes like when I lived in Ohio River valley near Dayton, OH. Each geographical area in North America brings a different set of thrills.

Ajcoholic
05-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Well guys, it has been an odd summer so far. Very warm and dry spring, caused the forests to really dry out prematurely. So far, the two largest fires have been close to where I grew up (100 miles from where I live now) where my folks live, in kirkland lake and here where I am in Timmins. The kl fire seems under control however the huge fire near Timmins is now over 50 km long and burning fiercely. I actually am out of town with my wife and son for the weekend. I return home Monday, but wil be keeping an eye on the news to see what's up. They have had two main highways closed just outside of town now for a week. Lots of homes and cottages are in danger... But hopefully it won't get anywhere near my shop. After a year of hard work, and spending $550 grand setting up my new shop I'd be devastated if it burned down.

These are some serious fires for sure. My good friend is a water bomber pilot for the natural resources here and he tries to let me know what's happening.

AJC

myxpykalix
05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Tell him you'll buy him an extra 6 pack if he drops a load of water on your shop if the fire gets close! :eek:

Ajcoholic
05-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Tell him you'll buy him an extra 6 pack if he drops a load of water on your shop if the fire gets close! :eek:

The fire is still 35 km south of us, but it was moving at one point 3 km per hour. Has everyone on edge for sure. At least I have full replacement coverage insurance if God forbid I ever needed it.

Our home is several km west of the fire and not in any danger.

My father said it was cooler today and the winds died down which is good.

dlcw
05-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Have him drop retardant. That will last awhile but makes one heck of a mess. That's what we have our tankers drop on structures that are close to a fast moving wild fire.

Chrissy
05-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi Andrew

We live at Kinglake part of the Black Saturday bushfires in 2009 when 183 people died in less than 12 hours. When it comes to crunch time, PLEASE dont stay - nothing is worth you or your family losing a live. Bob's shed roof burnt for three days but everything inside survived, ash damage but nothing destroyed. We have like you full insurance, take photos and precious items, everything can be replaced but YOU cant.

Our aftermath is still a huge recovery mode, 7 suicides since Christmas of people who havent coped with various issues including a local paramedia who had to recover bodies from houses and sheds.

Take extra special care and we hope the winds and weather treat you gently till the good guys can get under control. keep in touch

Chrissy and Bob

GlenP
05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Everything turn out okay and safe Andrew. You have been absent from posting lately so starting to wonder??

Chrissy
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Glen - I pm'd Andrew for the same reason and am pleased to say things are still under control - see below

Re: Fires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
Hi Andrew

Just had to check how you are going? Have been watching and no updates so this fire paranoid person is concerned.

Take care and stay safe
Chrissy in Kinglake

Well,
I just got back home last night. So far the fire is being held in size. Even though it is HUGE... over 70 km lone I think, and a dozen wide. It has been raining here the past few days which is aiding the fire fighter's job in controlling the spread.

The town is still on edge, with several highways still being closed and some people evacuated yet. But, it appears the main part of the city will be fine.

This is the largest fire in our PRovince in a long time. We had a very warn and dry spring, and there have been several serious fires in the surrounding area (within a few hundred Kms).

Hopefully things will be back to some kind of normal soon!

AJC

Ajcoholic
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry guys, I have had a busy week at work upon my return... trying to get some furniture out of the shop and delivered, so I can get paid :)

The fire close to here is stalled at about 15km from my shop. It is the largest recorded wild fire in this province in over 50 years. To date, it has grown to over 50,000 hectares - about 75km long by 10-12 km wide.

While I was away, the weather has both dropped in temps (being just a high of 8 to 10 C the past 3 days) and also overcast and rain with the winds dying down. That has allowed the fire fighters to stall the fire, and hopefully it wont get any larger and burn itself out.

The amount of forest destroyed here is amazing... just a huge area of completely burnt out forest.

ANyhow, thats it for now. Hopefully no more bad news to report (fingers crossed)...

AJC

Chrissy
05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I am sure everyone understands Andrew - it's just the extended family cares, which is wonderful.