PDA

View Full Version : Noise Abatement

Stagecraft
05-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Don't know if this is the right area to post this but...
I've just had delivery of four new Lighthouse vacuum motors which will be used on our Alpha 60 x 120.
I installed two motors on our Alpha 48 x 96 last year and don't know how we ever lived without them!
We've just moved into a new shop which is just a big concrete space with an open mezzanine area above. As much as I like these vacuum motors I'm not looking forward to days when we get busy and they'll both be running all day long.
I'm wondering what others have done for noise abatement. Alterations like knocking holes in the wall to route the vacuums outside are not an option and any enclosure we build for inside the shop will have to be done to code, also the shop isn't huge so I'd prefer to retain as much floor space as possible...any ideas?

knight_toolworks
05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
you need baffles on the air input and the air output. I got mine down to about 85dbs or so
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14525&highlight=step

Stagecraft
05-28-2012, 01:30 AM
That's pretty impressive Steve, no problems with heat buildup? - Boyd

cip
05-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Did you get the mufflers that go on the exhaust? If not that will reduce the noise a bunch.

I have 8 motors running with mufflers on each and the noise level is around 80 db.

Stagecraft
05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
No Mike, no mufflers. Didn't know that any were available.
What specifically did you use? - Boyd

cip
05-28-2012, 09:06 AM
http://shop.centralvacuumfactory.com/central-vacuum-motor-muffler-p-3.html

cip
05-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Forgot, does not require elbow as it says. Just slide it over the exhaust outlet.

knight_toolworks
05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
That's pretty impressive Steve, no problems with heat buildup? - Boyd

no well I had problems with the fein motors but that was a problem with my spoilboard. for some reason it just started having a lot of resistance and that caused heat in the feins. it is not a problem with the 220v motors.
The feins don't need a muffler and the 220v motors need it.

Stagecraft
05-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks again guys!
Mike I picked up six mufflers identical to your posted link for $20. each at a local built-in vacuum store.
I'll try them out on the small table tomorrow.
...the guy did kinda' look at me strange when I asked him for six. ;)

nat_wheatley
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I recently bought several of the mufflers from Central Vacuum, referenced in Mike's post. Can anyone recommend an adhesive to bond the mufflers to the vacuum motor housing? I've pushed them on with a pretty snug fit, but once they heat up, they're loosening and falling off.

My thought was to try construction adhesive, but thought that I'd check here first. Thanks.

shilala
06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I recently bought several of the mufflers from Central Vacuum, referenced in Mike's post. Can anyone recommend an adhesive to bond the mufflers to the vacuum motor housing? I've pushed them on with a pretty snug fit, but once they heat up, they're loosening and falling off.

My thought was to try construction adhesive, but thought that I'd check here first. Thanks.
For the heat, Permatex RTV Silicone would work great. Construction adhesive would be hell to get the mufflers back off. RTV, not at all. Just a nice bead on clean surfaces and you should be good forever.

nat_wheatley
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try.

Nat