PDA

View Full Version : HSD SPindle Mount

bill_lumley
06-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I am adding a new drill head to my Z access and need to rotate the Spindle 90 degrees to get the drilling head where I want it and move the electrical connections to the spindle to the side. The current mounting has 3 open sides on the spindle as it is mounted on 1 side only . My new setup will reduce me to 1 clear open side and little clearance on 2 of the remaining 3 sides . The spindle is cooled by a fan on top . Is that enough cooling in this set-up ? The spindle will be surrounded by aluminum mounting plates which can dissipate some heat also .
I am also looking for a drawing for the HSD mounting bolt pattern if anyone could point me to where I might find that .

Thanks Bill

danhamm
06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey Bill, cant you use the back of the HSD as a template or its mounting plate.? I had the measurements written down just cant find them now.

bill_lumley
06-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi Dan , I am trying to limit machine downtime and have a new plate made up ahead of when I need to take things apart and start applying the upgrade . Worst case that is what I will do . I have thought of a way to do my upgrade leaving the spindle in it's current position which I may go with to get me around this question.

Bill

Garyh
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Bill I have my spindle and plate off of my prt alpha off of the machine. Do you want me to measure it for you.

Gary Hallford

Brady Watson
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
A hunk of 4x4 or 4x6 angle iron or angle AL will make mounting a breeze...

-B

bill_lumley
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Guys . I have ben in touch with HSD and they provided the diagrams for the 2.2 HSD I have and Shopbot provided the hole pattern in the Z that I need for a new mount to so I am good for all the hole specifics I need . When I get this setup working next month I will post some photos .

Regards Bill